Author Topic: Help locating a brother and 2 sisters in 1891 Census.  (Read 575 times)

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help locating a brother and 2 sisters in 1891 Census.
« on: Friday 31 January 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for some help locating a brother and 2 sisters in the 1891 Census. They aren't necessarily in Northamptonshire but this is the last known county. They are all still alive and well in the 1901 census.

I am looking for Mary Lakey born 1874 Walsall, Annie Lakey born 1875 Walsall and their brother Harry Lakey born 1877 Walsall.

I have them in 1881 living with dad Lavender and Mum Eliza plus 4 siblings. In Bythorn Lodge Clack
Mum Eliza dies in 1886 in Oundle and dad Lavender disappears sometime between 1886 and  1891, unable to verify his death).
I know Mary is married to Sam Rawnsley 25th feb 1893 Bradford. (there are 2 Mary and Sam Rawnsley around the same time). Harry is married to Harriet Haynes in 1898 27th June Peterborough. Annie gets married in April 1897 to Thomas Pratt.

Mary, Annie and Harry's 3 youngest siblings, George, William and Ernest are living in 2 households in Elton as boarders and their half sister Phoebe is in the Oundle district Union Workhouse with daughter and nephew in the 1891 census.
I did find a Harry Leek the correct age at the home of his Aunt Ann Thornhill but I am not able to fit the Aunt into my tree.

I would appreciate some fresh eyes to locate them.

Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Help locating a brother and 2 sisters in 1891 Census.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 January 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi. It appears that William  and Ernest Lakey were fostered to Henry Edis of Elton in 1890.
George was fostered by James Smith of Elton.

Later in 1892 William is fostered to George Smith of Southwick, Oundle.
Ernest by Obadiah Oakley of Elton.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea.

I looked at the marriages you mentioned above and notice that one sister noted her father as a Policeman.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I found a Henry Lakey in Kettering as a Shoe Rivetters apprentice, but he was born in Sheffield
Piece number   1217
Folio   148
Page   21
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 January 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I found a Henry Lakey in Kettering as a Shoe Rivetters apprentice, but he was born in Sheffield
Piece number   1217
Folio   148
Page   21

It may be something but Harry was a waterboat by trade.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 20 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea.

I looked at the marriages you mentioned above and notice that one sister noted her father as a Policeman.

Sandy

That is Annie, as far as I know her dad was only ever a labourer, this is the Lavender Lakey I asked about on my other thread that you helped me with.

Andrea.

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 January 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi. It appears that William  and Ernest Lakey were fostered to Henry Edis of Elton in 1890.
George was fostered by James Smith of Elton.

Later in 1892 William is fostered to George Smith of Southwick, Oundle.
Ernest by Obadiah Oakley of Elton.

Sandy

Amazing thank you, I think this is because Dad (Lavender Lakey) died somewhere in between Oct 1886 and the 1st adoption. I am so glad they didn't end up in the workhouse like their half sister Phoebe Bullas.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 January 20 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Andrea after looking at numerous records the details seem to change quite a bit.

George Lakey and Hannah Lavender married in the Mar Qtr 1840.

Lavender is listed as mother's maiden name Lavender in Mar Qtr 1844 .

On the 1851 Census George's wife is noted as Elizabeth?

On Lavender's marriage certificate in 1872 it says his father's name is Matthew.

Just things I noticed.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 January 20 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Andrea after looking at numerous records the details seem to change quite a bit.

George Lakey and Hannah Lavender married in the Mar Qtr 1840.

Lavender is listed as mother's maiden name Lavender in Mar Qtr 1844 .

On the 1851 Census George's wife is noted as Elizabeth?

On Lavender's marriage certificate in 1872 it says his father's name is Matthew.

Just things I noticed.

Sandy

Lavender's mum was called Hannah Lavender, my dad was also going to be called Lavender but he dodged that bullet. George his father was also known by his middle name of Mathew.
George, Lavender and all his siblings disappear in the 1861 census, it might be because Mum Hannah was visiting her mum Mary Lavender and wasn't there to organise everyone.