Author Topic: Aussie requesting information on Ann Malone aka Smith - great great great granny  (Read 6021 times)

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great, great,great grandmother was Ann WHEELER (born SMITH aka MALONE aka Mahony and came out on the Earl Grey scheme. The ship - INCONSTANT commanded by Captain Patrick Culliton, sailed from Plymouth for Adelaide in South Australia. On board were 209 Irish female migrants who sailed on the Inconstant from Plymouth to Adelaide are available from shipping records of the times. These young Irish orphan girls from Newcastle 18, Mullingar 40, Tullamore 18, Mountmellick 22, Parsontown 30, Limerick 24, Tipperary 22, North Dublin 12 (Total 186), left Ireland as part of Earl Grey's PAUPER IMMIGRATION SCHEME.  Ann was born Tullamore, Kings County,(County Offaly) Ireland Circa 1832.
The INCONSTANT reached Adelaide on June 7th, 1849.
From what I can see Ann came out as Ann Smith (her mothers maiden name). Ann spent 5 years South Australia where she met and married Joshua John WHEELER - Aged 20 -   Kooringa, The Murray, Burra Burra, South Australia    - May 24 1851 and spent 59 years Victoria.
Ann and John had 6 children.
Her mothers name was Eliza Malone (born SMITH) & unknown fathers name.

Ann was Aged about 21 came to South Australia. Fable has it, with her sister, but cannot find evidence of sister.
Ann died  Gwynne street, Richmond, Victoria, Australia Apr 7 1909
If anyone can build on this as this is all I have would be very much appreciated. Thank you
So I am seeking information on parents?? Ann – herself??
Thank you
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie requesting information on Ann Malone aka Smith - great great great granny
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 February 20 05:43 GMT (UK) »

Can you please list all the information on this certificate -

6524/1909 WHEELER  Ann
parents  Eliza SMITH  /  Wheeler Malone
died at Rmond  age 77

all the information is important so please include everything.

Is it a typed transcription or a handwritten document?

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie requesting information on Ann Malone aka Smith - great great great granny
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 February 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you know Ann’s religion?

If she was Roman Catholic, the Tullamore Baptism Registers are freely available online at:-

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0933.

The 1827-1836 may show Ann, or siblings.

Regards

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 February 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank wivenhoe,
This is all it says on the death cert.

6524/1909 WHEELER  Ann
parents  Eliza SMITH  /  Wheeler Malone
died at Rmond  age 77

Deciphered as Ann married Joshua wheeler and her mother married Malone.
Died Richmond (This is Melbourne Victoria Australia
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 February 20 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Wivenhoe is asking for information from the death certificate, not the index entry.

There does not appear to be a surviving passenger list for the Inconstant.

https://archives.sa.gov.au/finding-information/discover-our-collection/migration-and-crew/passenger-lists-1845-1940

The only mention of SMITH is the newspaper listing and that was for a 'Mary'.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71623930

To trace your girl in Ireland you need to know her religion.  Where has the birthplace of Tullamore come from?  I am having trouble finding any registered births to Joshua and Ann except for William Henry in 1867 in Victoria.  Do you have that birth cert?

There is a baptism at Tullamore 4 March 1829, for an Anne daughter of Patrick MALONE(?) and Eliza SMYTH, sponsors John CLEARY and Ellen ROURKE.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635172#page/35/mode/1up

There are a lot of gaps in the Tullamore registers.

Debra  :)

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 February 20 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Dundee/Debra

I am new to this and I didn't understand exactly what was meant I don't have the actual death certificate. The information is from the Victorian BMD.

The information for the Inconstant came from the Earl Grey scheme website. ( I checked this with a professor who looks after this site) and it seems she used her mothers maiden name & name Mary (but now I think this all needs to be gone over again as something not right here but Ann landed in South Australlia??

I have Marriage cert for great gran Mary Bombardieri which lists her mothere was born in Tullamore, Kings County, Ireland

https://irishfaminememorial.org/orphans/database/

Ann landed in South Australia and was married there
Joshua John WHEELER

Aged 20 to Joshua john wheeler Marriage index 1788-1950 - page 338, vol 14.
 Kooringa, The Murray, Burra Burra, South Australia . May 24 1851

Children:Birth of daughter:
Annie PINNELL (born WHEELER)
 Adelaide, South Australia, Australia 1852
Birth of daughter:

Emily wheeler  Bendigo, Victoria, Australia Circa 1857

Mary BOMBARDIERI (born WHEELER)  Sandhurst Victoria Australia REF: Eaglehawk Pioneer Register & Marriage certificate Circa 1858

Birth of son: John wheeler   Australia  Circa 1859

Birth of daughter: Alice Elizabeth BLIGHT (born WHEELER)  Victoria, Australia  Circa 1867

It is quite common to to see the name Ann Smith as the mother (IGI Index). Ann Smith aka Malone aka Maloney

Birth of son: William Henry WHEELER
circa 1867  Arnold Street, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia #: 24360

Still investigating children's births with the circa.

I have no idea of Ann's religion but at a guess I think you may have found her & her parents and thank you so much for this as I had no idea where to look and for this and if it even survived.

Joshua John Wheeler worked as a brewer in a pub in Bendigo and died from a seizure
Thunders Brewery, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia  Jan 11 1868

Thank you so much for your asstance and now I will go over these shipping lists again. as something definitely not correct there

Please if you have any more advice let me know as appreciated

Regards Michelle

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 February 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you L.H for your assistance
Much appreciated

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 February 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »

You need to see the information on the death certificate for Ann WHEELER, died 1909. You can pay for, and download, an image of this document at the VIC BDM website.

Are these people your family?

BDM VIC

birth
24360/1867 WHEELER William Henry  parents Ann MALONE / Joshua
born S'HURST

death
2359/1868 WHEELER Joshua John   parents  Kezia / UNKNOWN
born LOND   age 51

marrige
246/1869 WHEELER Annie   married  PINNELL, John Frost

marriage
2740/1877 WHEELER May  married BOMBARDIERI Giacomo

marriage
6686/1885 WHEELER Alice Elizth  married BLIGHT, Hugh Grannell

death
6524/1909 WHEELER Ann  parents  Eliza SMITH / Wheeler Malone
died Rmond  age 71

death
8692/1911  BOMBARDIERI Mary parents  Mary SMITH /  Wheeler Wm
died  Ehawk  age 52

death
3397/1913 WHEELER Emily parents  Ann MALONE / WHEELER Joshua Jno
died Rmond  age 58

death
13167/1920 PINNELL Annie  parents Unknown / Wheeler Wm
died at Bendigo  age 68

death
8964/1951 BLIGHT Alice Elizabeth  parents  Ann SMITH /  WHEELER Joseph John
born Sandhurst  died Richmond   age 84

Bendigo Advertiser 14 Jan 1868  p2  (death of Joshua John WHEELER)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/87893355?
.....51 years old.........married seventeen years .....six children living.....

"...I have Marriage cert for great gran Mary Bombardieri which lists her mothere was born in Tullamore, Kings County, Ireland"

The marriage certificate would ask for parents' names, but not their birthplace. That would certainly be a bonus.

Can you please list all the information on this marriage document for your great grand mother.

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivehoe

Thank you for persevering. with this much appreciated.

So it was late when I was typing last night No it is not marriage cert ( I appologise)

But it is the birth certificate that I bought for William Henry Wheeler a couple of weeks ago ( I wanted to get the most information).

Yes these are the children of Joshua & Ann

As you can see sometimes Ann - the mother goes under maiden name of Smith and other times under Malone - fathers name and other times under Wheeler - married name.

Very confusing!!!

The death of Joshua I actually found but this was all.

My Great Gran Mary and husband Giacomo marriage cert I have and information is (very hard to see and decipher)
1877 4 August St Pauls Sandhurst (this is now Bendigo Victoria )
Giamcomo Bombardieri - Bachelor - Lombardy Italy - Whipstick (eaglehawk) - ?? Bombadieri -Anna Peroggia (looks like) - woodcarter - 25 - Farmer
Mary Wheeler - spinster - Sandhurst, Victoria - 19 - Joshua John Wheeler  - Ann Smith -

Your assistance again I thank you for
May I ask are you based in Australlia??

Cheers Michelle