Author Topic: Aussie requesting information on Ann Malone aka Smith - great great great granny  (Read 6057 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie requesting information on Ann Malone aka Smith - great great great granny
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 February 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
What denomination (or at least the clergy's name) for the South Australian marriage of Ann and Joshua in 1851.... that info may well be very helpful to the Irish RChatters ...

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie requesting information on Ann Malone aka Smith - great great great granny
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 February 20 01:10 GMT (UK) »
HI Majm

Unfortunately I have no idea of what denomination and clergy name was??
How do I find this information please ??

I am sorry I don't know what the Irish RChatters is??

Thank you for helping
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 February 20 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the 1851 marriage cert, if so, what does it say about married according 'to the rites of' or perhaps according 'to the forms of' .... (the Church of England, or the Church of Rome, or the Baptist, or Wesleyan or Free Church of Scotland or any of the many other denominations) .... or what was the name of the clergyman who married them ...  I know that South Australian marriage certs are scant on info, but they should at least give you not just the names of the bride and groom but also the details of the denomination or at least the clergyman who married them.   Online indexes give the reference number as Page 338, Volume 14,  Joshua WHEELER and Ann MAHONY,  24 May 1851, at Kooringa, The Murray, South Australia.   See also  https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-database-search

Because your thread is on the Irish boards,  I referred to the Irish RChatters ... being those RChatters who frequent the Ireland boards here at RChat and who, in my opinion, they have far more experience, knowledge and understanding of researching Irish records than RChatters like me who frequent the Australia Board.   Earlier on this thread you were asked for the denomination  (see reply #2) and Debra explained why at #4  so I am confident that IF you were able to provide that info that the Irish RChatters would be able to advise you further about how to seek out the origins of your Ann who married Joshua Wheeler in S. A. in 1851.

ADD ... notice the spelling of Ann's surname on that index...   :)  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 February 20 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Majm
I was just sitting here thinking should I purchase the marriage cert?? & would it give me more information??

The only thing that I could see would be the where they were married and I can see that they had 2 churches in the Church of England & Methodist.

As they don't give away much on the certificate

And YES I did see the spelling. I have come across this once before but definitely a mistake - this I know from first hand knowledge of a direct relative down another line as I asked her.

Totally agree I have learnt so much the last couple of days and that is great to know there is a lot of Irish people who look. I didn't actually relise I was on an Irish thread - thank god I am

I hope people keep popping into look
Thanks
Loads - LOL!!!! - Fisher, McBride, Hill, Power, Borserio, Bombardieri, McCarthy, Veale, Wheeler, Wheelerbreed, Andrew

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 February 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware, in any of the colonies/states of Australia it has not ever been a formal requirement for people to marry within a church building ... and of course the clergy in the mid 19th century were on horseback moving on a circuit through rural communities, conducting baptisms and marriages, while many a burial service was conducted by a lay person.

JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 February 20 02:51 GMT (UK) »

"..Gwynne street, Richmond??
I will have to ask about it with the relative -as she may know"

Relative needs to do more than just repeat the statement. Ask relative where this information comes from.

The marriage record, South Australia, May 24 1851, is the earliest evidence you have that your ancestor existed.

The arrival on the Inconstant, 1849, is a possibility, but not confirmed.

The marriage certificate, 1851, will identify denomination of church. Religious affiliation is important in researching ancestors in Ireland.

The marriage certificate, 1851, will names witnesses, who might be connected to the bride and groom.

You will see if Ann signs the record....is literate.

You need to see the death certificate    6524/1909 WHEELER  Ann

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 February 20 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank Wivenhoe

I am going to order a death cert from BMD now.
I just don't think the marriage one would assist as SA state they only copy information as can't copy the actual certificate (disappointing)
But will do this now

Thank you again

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 February 20 03:19 GMT (UK) »
I have been scrolling through Trove's digitised newspapers for South Australia family notices 1850 - 1855.  There are a number of mentions of clergy at Kooringa ... so I can assure you that there were more than just Church of England & Methodist. 

I can also see that the Vet Surgeon at Kooringa was a chap surnamed WHEELER ...  - was he related to Joshua I wonder  :)   (Add, probably with given names of Robert Alexander  :) as per father's names on the SA birth index for Edward born 1852)

See the following live link :
 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/195940174 Sth Aust Gazette & Mining 20 June 1850
MARRIED by the Rev J Pollitt, at Kooringa, Burra ... Mr R Wheeler, veterinary surgeon, Burra Copper Works ....

JM

Offline AUSSIE michelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 February 20 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Majm

WOW I have spent 2 hours scrolling through Trove (hopeless at that)
I also went through shipping lists and couldn't find a wheeler landing there (made me think he landed somewhere else pehaps?? and moved there?

Now this would be interesting if this man related. ??
I am not sure how to find out?
 I have Joshua born though
Age <1
Christening

Whitechapel, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Apr 6 1817

It was a Burra site I clicked on where they said only those 2 churches. I've any been at this a couple of year LOL. Sometimes Im good at I and then I just crawl.

Now that was disappointing to a degree. I just bought the death certificate of Ann Wheeler and I knew all information.

Nothing different on there

Thank you again for your help