Author Topic: Susanna smith  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susanna smith
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 20 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Lovelace Bapt 29 Apr 1787 Tolpuddle to Thomas/Dinah

1861 Census
James Smith, 70
Susan Smith, 72, born Tolpuddle, Dorset

1851 Census
James Smith   60
Susan Smith   62 same pob

1841 Census
Somerset
James Smith   50
Susannah Smith   50
Joseph Smith   15
Edward Smith   15
Selina Smith   13

Another child;   
Maximilion Loveless Smith christened 02 MAY 1815 Wesleyan, Axminster, Devon
(Source Familysearch.Org)
On Census he is born c 1815 Burton Bradstock Dorset
He married Ann LEGG

Interestingly there is a Legg Family next to James/Susanna 1851 Census

I believe the 1841 census above at Goathill, Somerset is the wrong family - their children baptised at Sherborne and believe that this couple are the James Smith and Susan Cevil who married at Sherborne 30/3/1823.

As you rightly say, Chillerman, in 1841 James Smith and Susan(nah) nee Lovelass are in Bradpole, Bridport in 1841 with 2 children - Selena 21 and James 15.

As Celena Smith their daughter baptised at Axminster, Devon in 1818 (of Burton, Dorset) and, as already mentioned on this thread, a son Maximillion was also baptised at Axminster in 1815, both in a non-conformist church.   Son James was bp.22/8/1824 Burton Bradstock, plus a daughter Jane in 1829 (whom I'm assuming must have died as can find no further trace of her).

Again, as already mentioned, Susannah was baptised as Susannah Lovelace 29/4/1787 at Tolpuddle, dau. of Thomas and Diana (her brother George being one of the Tolpuddle Martyrs) so your grandmothers comment, Chillerman, was correct.

As 1851 and 1861 census show (Melcombe Regis, Weymouth) James Smith was born in Burton Bradstock and Susannah Lovelass/var. was born in Tolpuddle.

The other James and Susanna who were at Goathill, Somerset in 1841 - Susanna was nee Cevil and baptised 1790 in Sherborne.   James is shown to have been born in Somerset (born in county, yes) but wife and 3 children were not (all born in Sherborne, Dorset).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 March 20 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that all up Annette :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Chillerman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 March 20 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Annette
As we have both found a baptism of Susannah Smith, one in Burton Bradstock (1792) and one in Tolpuddle (1787) is there any way she could have been baptised twice with different parents? or are they different people? James is a labourer in 1841 and a mason in 1851 and 1861 so that could follow.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Short answer - no!

One Susannah married in Sherborne and her children baptised there, the other Susannah married in Burton Bradstock and was born in Tolpuddle, lived in Burton Bradstock until at least 1829 with 2 children baptised Axminster and 2 in Burton Bradstock.

The Sherborne Susannah was nee Cevil and the Burton Bradstock Susannah was nee Lovelass.

I don't know what to say to make it any clearer.

The Susannah in Goathill, Somerset was buried there 18/10/1843.  Her husand James was an Ag. Lab. in 1841 - don't know what happened to him after his wife's death but children remained in Goathill.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk