Author Topic: Census info on Familysearch  (Read 31708 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census info on Familysearch
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
As FS have some arrangement with FindMyPast, I went there and put in the exact search parameters that I did with FS. I got zero results from FS and 131 from FindMyPast.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Just checked SP and there are still two options for the 1881 census, one of which is 'LDS'.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I had a similar issue last night. Keyed in a fairly common name to look at the 1881 and 1891 census results and only got about 6 results.
Hoping the info has not been withdrawn from the site - It was an excellent resource , especially for elimination purposes, before using credits on Scotlands People.

Looby

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I've just received an e-mail from FS, which included this:

I checked further on the access to records and have discovered that they are available once more. There appears to have been some glitch which caused the records to, not be able to show properly over the last few days.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The links on the thread I referred to earlier are still ‘permission denied’  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried your links and get the same. 

Could someone else contact them this time, please - it took ages  :-\

Added - I did reply to the e-mail and told them that nothing had changed and enclosed a snip!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 February 20 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Having been told to clear the cache/cookies, etc. and make sure that my browser was up to date. I sent yet another message saying that a few of us were having problems and it only affected the Scottish censuses, etc. (as politely as I could manage!). I have received this reply:

There is a definite issue at the moment in these records, they are online one minute and gone the next - our engineers must be working on them. Perhaps you could give it a week and see if they stabilise again.

Gadget

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 February 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sticking with it. I've sent a message as well but got no reply. With previous correspondence, I got the impression the front end helpline doesn't know too much about what goes on in the back room technical department.

I've also been trying SP's 1881 and 1881 LDS censuses. The former works, the latter doesn't seem to (unless there's a user error).

I vaguely remember back in the day that FS only had individuals on their Scotland censuses, not all the household, and wonder if this is what's happening now. As Looby says, this would be a shame as it's a useful filter before making a purchase on SP.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sticking with it. I've sent a message as well but got no reply. With previous correspondence, I got the impression the front end helpline doesn't know too much about what goes on in the back room technical department.

That has been my experience as well.  I had found living people on the collaborative tree, and they'd been marked as Deceased, but I was unable/blocked from editing them.  This is a clear breach of privacy laws and could land FamilySearch in quite a pickle.

I used their chat function and ended up 'chatting' with some one who couldn't help.  They managed to annoy me on several counts:
1) they said they couldn't understand why I was so upset that my very much alive parents had been added to the tree. 
2) they made a bit of a big deal over being a volunteer (polish your halo sweetie), in a way that implied that I should accept FamilySearch's inability to resolve this issue simply because an incompetent volunteer had been so kind as to try to help me, and I should be more respectful of wasting 5 mins of the volunteer's time (which was also a complete waste of my time).  If they don't know what to do they should put me in touch with someone who does.
3)  The volunteer said that perhaps FamilySearch isn't the place for me to do my research.   The thing is, I wasn't researching my parents, but stumbled uncross this unlawful breach of privacy
4)  The tree corrections and stuff I do at FamilySearch is also 'volunteering'.