Author Topic: Census info on Familysearch  (Read 31648 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census info on Familysearch
« Reply #45 on: Monday 17 February 20 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Permission denied.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 17 February 20 21:54 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ Hate us loosing any resources that are free to all.

Family Search has a unique place to so many people researching genealogy. For many without a subscription to online sites or being able to access records in person, it will certainly be a loss.

I am a huge fan (and investor  ::)) of Scotlands People. Going back to the days when it was the only source for all indexes will not be great. It remains the only place for original images, but taking time to research in other indexes added to what you hoped to find in SP.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »
:-\ Hate us loosing any resources that are free to all.

Family Search has a unique place to so many people researching genealogy. For many without a subscription to online sites or being able to access records in person, it will certainly be a loss.

I am a huge fan (and investor  ::)) of Scotlands People. Going back to the days when it was the only source for all indexes will not be great. It remains the only place for original images, but taking time to research in other indexes added to what you hoped to find in SP.

Monica

I agree totally Monica.
FamilySearch is a super free to use site. It has helped many an aspiring genealogist find their feet on the branches of their family tree and save them throwing away money on random SP searches.

I'm also a great supporter of Scotland's People and have spent a few pounds over the years. Yes, the original records are obviously the best and most accurate - but FamilySearch played a part in being able to confidently use my credits and not waste them.

Looby :)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »

Quite apart from the fact that FS didn't have households, only index listings of individuals.

Very recently they did.  Infact, only the weekend before the census records started to be removed I was able to see the whole household of some families I am researching.  I also have this information on my tree elsewhere via Ancestry and FindMyPast but if possible I like to attach as many records as possible on the FamilySearch tree to lessen the chance that someone will create an 'alternative life' for my relatives and have them marrying some random individual and/or giving birth on alternate years in different parts of the world with two different husbands.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have spoken to someone I know in the LDS genealogy section in Utah and you are not going to like it, I know I didn’t.

“The Scottish government did not renew their records contract with the LDS FHL and removed all access to their records including the microfilm at the FHL”. This is because they want to make money from the records, now the only way is to purchase on Scotland’s People.

I am raging, these records are better transcribed than most of Scotland’s People.

Another money making scheme.

Kathy

Interesting.  Eire is doing quite the opposite with their records - free BMD, RC Catholic records, census and census.