Author Topic: Death and burial records  (Read 2758 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Death and burial records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Good to hear from you again! As regards William Walsh, I thought we had already addressed some of your questions, at least in part, three years ago. I posted some photographs showing the area at the top (southern end) of Castlehill St., the Swan, and Swan View.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=482775.msg6137541#msg6137541

Basically, Castlehill St. runs into the area known as the Swan, so there isn't necessarily a contradiction between one document saying Castlehill, and another Swan View. Very close in any case.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry but brain is getting a bit puddled these days.  I couldn’t remember who gave the photos and information on the house in census.  I think what made me think the death certificate I had sent for was wrong because of informants name, Kate Walsh.  Finally remembered Williams brother Jim married a Mary Anne Walsh from Paradise Row so Kate must have been her sister.  Just hope William is in same plot as his parents and that way I get mor info on them.  Determined to sort out my Walsh lot before brain stops working altogether.  Thanks again for your help, Anne.
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 February 20 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry but brain is getting a bit puddled these days.  I couldn’t remember who gave the photos and information on the house in census.  I think what made me think the death certificate I had sent for was wrong because of informants name, Kate Walsh.  Finally remembered Williams brother Jim married a Mary Anne Walsh from Paradise Row so Kate must have been her sister.  Just hope William is in same plot as his parents and that way I get more info on them.  Determined to sort out my Walsh lot before brain stops working altogether.  Thanks again for your help, Anne.

Ah yes, our connection. Mary (Anne) Walsh was my great-aunt.

As for where William Walsh may be buried, I think there are three leading possibilities, one good, two bad (in terms of records).
- The good one is the municipal cemetery, in Crosstown (St. Ibar's). Full records available from the council.
- The bad ones are two ancient cemeteries, to the south of Wexford town. Drinagh, and a second one whose name escapes me at present (Maudlintown area). Many people from the south, Faythe end of town were buried in these two old graveyards. There are no records at all for these. One of my Walsh great-grandfather's brothers, and his family, are buried in Drinagh.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 February 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all for help given.  I give up every so often when I hit too many snags but then someone drops a line and away I go again.  Will have a good search over the coming week.  Thanks again, Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 June 22 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

There was a question asked earlier in this thread as to where William Walsh (age 19) was buried when he died in 1905. The answer is Crosstown Cemetery. John Walsh 'managed' the internment so this will either have been his Father, or his elder Brother prior to marrying in Dublin the following year. (Note the Grave reference number which I will elaborate on in the next post)   
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 June 22 21:16 BST (UK) »
William wasn't the first member of the Walsh family to be buried in Grave L116. In 1900 Mary Anne Walsh had died and was the first person interred here. As William was then buried in the same grave its highly likely it's his elder sister.

Her last place of residence was Michael St but it appears she was whisked off to the Workhouse where she died. The age stated in the Civil Register and the burial register is 20 although it would appear she was born in 1877 making her 23 on death! 

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1877/03007/2102229.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05751/4624319.pdf

John Walsh 'managed the Internment' so as her Brother was only 18 at the time it is likely to have been her Father.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 June 22 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that information on Mary Anne has answered another question.  Neither of the sisters is shown on 1901 census so I assumed they had married. I have just about given up with the Walsh family when someone sends me a glimmer of hope and I am off again.   Thank you so much.
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death and burial records - Walsh
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 September 22 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

Further to the post above here is the Internment record for the Plot.  It was purchased by John Walsh, more than likely in 1900 on the death of his daughter, Mary Anne. He was living in Lambert Place at that time, the road between King St & Castle Hill St.

You will note that the third person buried in this plot was Mary Walsh on 1st April 1910. Dovetailing this with the Civil Register she was aged 59 on her death in King Street on 30th March.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05426/4516787.pdf

She was stated as being "married" rather than a "widow" implying John Walsh was still living at this point.

PS - You mention another "Sister" - There was a Bridget Walsh born in 1880 but she died after 38 days:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06474/4862551.pdf 

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Death and burial records - Walsh
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 September 22 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

Further to the post above here is the Internment record for the Plot.  It was purchased by John Walsh, more than likely in 1900 on the death of his daughter, Mary Anne. He was living in Lambert Place at that time, the road between King St & Castle Hill St.

Great stuff.

Can I ask - where are these records held these days?