Author Topic: Dempsey/ Hartpole Dempsey family, Ballynacargy  (Read 2023 times)

Offline runkletinkfunkle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dempsey/ Hartpole Dempsey family, Ballynacargy
« on: Wednesday 05 February 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information about Hannah Dempsey of Ballynacargy who married Stephen Rogers of Cornamuckla in the Parish of Forgney in 1837. Her first born was christened 'Harpole' which I   understand is a chosen Dempsey christian name. It may be that she was a daughter of a Har(t)pole Dempsey. I should love to know. Any and all suggestions very gratefully received.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dempsey/ Hartpole Dempsey family, Ballynacargy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »

Church of Ireland?

Harpole's Marriage Reg attached
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 14:18 GMT (UK) »

Name   HARPOLE ROGERS
Date of Death   1914
Group Registration ID   5390661
SR District/Reg Area   Ballymahon
Deceased Age at Death   75

Cert attached

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline runkletinkfunkle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I much appreciate your kindness in responding. My chief aim is to pursue the Dempsey line back, to confirm the identity of Hannah Dempsey's father and to understand what connection there is, if any, with the Hartpole family. This may be a tall order but all help is greatly valued.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »

No problem...it saves others asking Religion  or posting Links to R.C registers etc

Offline JLil67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am researching my ancestor Harpole Rogers (born 1838) from Forgney, Ballymahon. His parents were named Stephen and Hannah, but that is the extent of the information I have. It sounds very likely that this is the same Harpole mentioned in your post.

Like you, I also wondered about the origins of the name Harpole. I know there is a village in Northamptonshire called Harpole and my guess was that his parents may have originated from there, but based on your information my theory seems to be proven wrong!

Do you have any further information regarding Harpole’s parents or grandparents you could share with me? I am particularly interested in understanding their religion as I believe Harpole was Church of Ireland.

I’m also looking into Harpole’s wife Hannah Howard. I believe her parents were named Edward and Hannah, from Keenagh. Do you have any further information?

I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Offline runkletinkfunkle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Cousin,
Please forgive my delay in responding - I only found and read your message today.
I have accumulated much information. Too much for me to easily communicate but most has been found on-line. I am fascinated to learn how you are descended from Harpole.
Harpole Rogers (1839-1914) was the son of Stephen (1802-1843) and Hannah Howard (1849-1931).
Stephen was the son of George (1767-1857) and Martha (1770-1850) and married Hannah Dempse
of Ballinacargy in 1834. I am satisfied that Hannah Dempsey was the daughter of Hartpole Dempsey, farmer. The Hartpole family of Ireland is well documented from the 16th century - but what the connection is with Hartpole Dempsey I cannot say.
Hannah Howard was the daughter of Edward Howard (1802-1894) and Esther Fry (1814-1879).
Edward was the son of Abraham (1782-1859) who was the son of Edward (born c. 1750).
Esther Fry was the daughter of James Fry and Isabella and the granddaughter of Thomas Fry (1752-1839) and Isabella ( 1765-1861).
My grandmother was Annie Elizabeth Rogers (1886-1931).I know she had a brother and a number of sisters but have no photographs of them so I don't even know what she looked like - can you help?
I hope the above is of interest and would much like to hear further from you.