Author Topic: What happened to Sophia Robertson Anderson?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
What happened to Sophia Robertson Anderson?
« on: Wednesday 05 February 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great-aunt Elizabeth aka Eliza Anderson b.1846 Gamrie had a daughter in Aberdeen. The daughter was illegitimate and named Sophia Robertson Anderson, she was born Sept 1877.

Another Sophia Anderson was born in Aberdeen in 1876, unconnected to me.

My Sophia is in the 1881 census at Upper Denburn Aberdeen with her family as follows;

Annabella aka Isabella Anderson 64 (age ~10 years out) - Grandmother
Eliza Anderson 33 - Mother
Isabella Anderson 14 - Sister
Maggie Anderson 6 - Sister

Her mother Eliza/Elizabeth marries a William Douglas a widower in 1884 at Monthammock, Durris, Kincardineshire.

There is a Sophia Anderson, 14, in the 1891 Census at 59 North Broadford, Aberdeen. The head of the household is Sophia Ogg and is the Aunt of Sophia Anderson.

However, the aunt isn't a relation as I checked the Marriage Cert between Sophia Anderson and Alexander Ogg and compared that with census data, and it appears this Sophia is the one born 1876 and not my Sophia.

Her mother Eliza/Elizabeth Douglas m.s Anderson dies in 1913 at Bruce Court, Stonehaven.

I can't find any of them in the 1891 Census.

In 1901 Elizabeth/Eliza is at Skinner Cottage, Durris, Kincardineshire with

Robert Douglas, 11, son
John Robbie,  6, grandchild
Lizzie Robbie, 4, grandchild
Robert Douglas, 68, brother-in-law

But I can't seem to find any trace of Sophia Robertson Anderson anywhere after 1881.

Any help appreciated.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Sophia Robertson Anderson?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
There's a death record for a Sophia Anderson or Douglas, aged 52, in 1929 in Fetteresso which might be worth a look.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage on Scotlands People for a Sophia R Anderson to a John S Smith 1915 Fetteresso near Stonehaven

And in 1929 at Fetteresso there is  a death of a Sophia Smith (Nee Anderson) age 52 - listed as married to John Sievewright Smith with mother Eliza Anderson deceased who later married Robert Douglas (farmer)

Kay

Sorry -  crossed with you Ruth

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 18:22 GMT (UK) »
This must be the family in 1891, from SP:

Durris, Kincardine - ref: 256/ 1/ 2

William Duglas, 61
Elisabeth Duglas, 42
Williamina Duglas, 7
Robert Duglas, 1
Sophia Anderson, 13

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 18:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a Sophia Anderson, aged 86, registered in 1963 in Leith. Could it be her?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
This must be the family in 1891, from SP:

Durris, Kincardine - ref: 256/ 1/ 2

William Duglas, 61
Elisabeth Duglas, 42
Williamina Duglas, 7
Robert Duglas, 1
Sophia Anderson, 13

Ruth

This will be them yes, thank you. I couldn't find them all no matter what search terms I used.

There is a marriage on Scotlands People for a Sophia R Anderson to a John S Smith 1915 Fetteresso near Stonehaven

And in 1929 at Fetteresso there is  a death of a Sophia Smith (Nee Anderson) age 52 - listed as married to John Sievewright Smith with mother Eliza Anderson deceased who later married Robert Douglas (farmer)

Kay

Sorry -  crossed with you Ruth

Ruth and Kay. Thank you for this. The DC is her.

Although the informant (the husband) got the name of Eliza's husband wrong, his name was actually William Douglas and Robert Douglas is his brother. Robert was living in the household with them in 1901. I suppose and easy mistake to make.

No father is named, I suppose she didn't know who that was. Possible someone with the name Robertson.

Thanks again.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie