Author Topic: Richard George Thomas, Gredington Hall, 1891  (Read 1592 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard George Thomas, Gredington Hall, 1891
« on: Wednesday 05 February 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My great grandfather Richard George Thomas was, in 1891, a Domestic Servant for Lord Kenyon at Gredington Hall in Hanmer, Flintshire. I am curious if there might be any more records available for this?

I have birth, & death certificates for Richard, I have census returns for him from 1871 - 1911. But I am wondering if there might be anymore to be gained, or is this the end of the paper trail.

In 1901 Richard was a Publican at the Jack Inn in Prees, Shropshire, on Bletchley Road.

I wonder if anyone knows of any other websites that can potetially be used to garner more information on relatives, maybe a Newspaper website etc?

Thanks,

Keelan

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Richard George Thomas, Gredington Hall, 1891
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Exactly what type of records are you looking for as it's most unlikely any employment records still exist from the 1890's.    It was partly demolished in 1958 and fully demolished in 1980
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm really not sure what type of records there would be left to find. It's just that Richard is a bit of an enigma to me, I have 1 possibly 2 photos of him and that's all.

He moved around a lot -

1864 - Born at Lower Bullingham, Herefordshire > 1871 Living at Ridgehill, Herefordshire > 1881 Living at Ruyton of Eleven towns, Shropshire > 1891 Living at Gredington Hall, Flintshire > Dec of 1891, Marries Emma Thomas at Edgebaston in Warwickshire > 1901, Living at the Old Jack Inn in Prees, Shropshire > 1911, Living at Nantmel in Radnorshire with his 'wife', my great grandmother Hannah though I cannot find a marriage record, and even thoug Hannah wore a ring > 1925, Living at the Elan Valley in Radnorshire > 1928, Dies at Elan Valley.

Unsure how a man got about so much in those days on a basic occupation that didn't pay much, and whether the reason he and my great grandmother didn't get married is because he was still married to Emma (narrowing down a death between 1901 - 1911) is not easy given the fact that Richard moved around a lot.

Just want to get to know the man!  ;D

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 February 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I think you can definitely rule out any photographs from his time at Gredington Hall or his employment elsewhere.

He does not fall into the “old retainer” category of employee and comprehensive employment records were a rarity in those days so I think you can rule out finding anything on those lines from any of his many employers

1901 shows Emma was b 1872 Wrexham so have you looked for her in 1911 in case she didn’t die and they just split up
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 February 20 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I've put up the photo on the dating & restoration part of the forum, and based on the clothing, hairstyle etc its been given a rough date of the 80's or 90's.

Now looking into it more, I can't find a reliable death registration for an Emma Thomas between 1901 & 1911. I have searched for an Emma/Emma Thomas born 1871/72 in Marchweil, Flintshire in 1911, but nothing has come up. But as i can't find a death record for her, and because my great grandfather Richard didn't married my great grandmother Hannah Catherine Evans (went by Kate/Catherine)... I wonder if it would be a fair assessment that the reason they couldn't marry was because Richard & Emma were still married, but separated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 February 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »
1901 shows Wrexham but 1891 Marchwell

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 February 20 11:25 GMT (UK) »
It may be worth an enquiry to Flintshire Record Office to see what records they hold for Gredington Hall and Lord Kenyon.

https://www.flintshire.gov.uk/en/LeisureAndTourism/Records-and-Archives/Home.aspx

There is the British Newspaper Archive: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Also, Welsh Newspapers online: https://newspapers.library.wales/

Good luck!

Jo

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 February 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
1901 shows Wrexham but 1891 Marchwell

I've had a look in the 1911 census using the place of birth variations, and have looked at the 1911 census returns of her siblings to see if she was perhaps a lodger. She could well be using a different surname, perhaps if she was in a relationship with someone.

As her maiden name was also Thomas, I thought she could easily state she was single still.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 February 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
It may be worth an enquiry to Flintshire Record Office to see what records they hold for Gredington Hall and Lord Kenyon.

https://www.flintshire.gov.uk/en/LeisureAndTourism/Records-and-Archives/Home.aspx

There is the British Newspaper Archive: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Also, Welsh Newspapers online: https://newspapers.library.wales/

Thanks very much for that!!  :) :)