Author Topic: Changing name  (Read 933 times)

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Changing name
« on: Thursday 06 February 20 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew how likely it was for a Jewish immigrant from Russia to change their name when arriving in England,. I dont mean to anglicise it, but to take a relatives surname. I have an ancestor of my husband who Im pretty sure took the surname of his Uncle, even though he shared his Aunt's maiden surname. This was in about 1900 in London. Would he have to legally change his name at this time, and is there anywhere I could check that out.? I am suspicious because Esther, who I think is his sister, seems to have used two surnames all her life, even on her marriage certificate she is known as Litiger aka Weinberg, as well as in other documents. Her other siblings keep their name of Litiger throughout their lives. But Harry calls himself Weinberg on his marriage certificate, even stating his Father is a Weinberg.
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline judem64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Changing name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 23 00:26 BST (UK) »
i too am interested for the exact reason you state.. any progress in finding an answer?
Slomowski, Everett, Brett, Moehring, Friedeberg, Allender, Miller, Tighy

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 23 02:41 BST (UK) »
Did your Esther die 5 March 1962? If so in her probate record she is given as a Spinster.
Any one could and still can adopt and use any name they wish as long as it is not for criminal purposes. It does not have to be done through legal channels.

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 23 08:35 BST (UK) »
That’s interesting Crisane, I did not know that.
Yes, Esther died then. She had been married previously though, in 1914. But I don’t know what happened to her marriage.
I haven’t looked at this tree for about 3 years, so I’ve forgotten my reasoning for this complex part of the family.I must read up my notes later on and remind myself why I came to the conclusions I did. I had worked on it for years and struggled to make sense of it.
Thackwell, Weinberg, Pointon, Pringle, Staniforth, Dennis, Fitzgerald, Lilley,Bush, Ramus, Weber, Coatup-Liddiard, Hart, Collins

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 October 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
Esther was with Marcus Weinberg and wife Rebecca in 1921 at the addresses listed in his probate entry on 8th March 1924. Marcus died 22 Dec 1923 and probate was granted to Lazaraus Litiger cigar manufacturer and Myer Langleben. It might be worth seeing if there is a will, to see who is named in it.

Marcus Weinberg aged 36, a tobacconist of 14 Wardour st Leicester Sq also applied for a naturalization certificate in May 1896. He stated he was born in Grodno West Russia in 1860. He stated that he was married (does not name his wife who was the same age), with no children and that he was the son of Morris and Esther Weinberg.

Haven't come across a naturalization certificate for Aaron Jacob Litiger or for Henry / Harry Weinberg and variants. Maybe Marcus took over responsibility for the family after Jacob Litiger's death in 1911.

There could also be an interchangability of family names and also maybe Hebrew names

Offline lisat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
I have the same information Sam, but thank you. Also have the Will of Marcus Weinberg where I learned that Rebecca, his wife, was born Rebecca Litiger.
The wills have proved crucial. Esther leaves Harry money and states he is her brother. Rebecca Weinberg nee Litiger leaves money to Esther, her niece.
And then there are other Litigers, siblings of Esther and Harry, such as Lazarus, who Marcus calls his nephew in his Will ( presumably by marriage), and also Millie, Minnie and Fanny.
My husband, whose tree this is,is directly related to Harry. He has a DNA match to a Litiger related to Fanny.. it’s complicated, but I’m pretty sure that Harry was born a Litiger not a Weinberg.