Author Topic: 1938 High Wycombe a blast from the past!  (Read 927 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1938 High Wycombe a blast from the past!
« on: Saturday 08 February 20 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Saw this remarkable photo on Twitter.......
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1938 High Wyckham a blast from the past!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 20 11:19 GMT (UK) »
It is High Wycombe  :)

Plenty more photos here
https://www.bygonely.com/victorian-era-butcher-shops/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1938 High Wycombe a blast from the past!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 February 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Ok. Thanks Rosie.
I have corrected it.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 February 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
How long would a butchers shop be open to today, with a display like that. ;D

'Elf n safety/food standards would have it shut down in a heartbeat.  But would anyone today even think about buying anything from a shop like that.

Oh, and there's the problem of preparing a bird or rabbit......plucked and skinned, who would do that in a 21 century kitchen. ::) ;D.......and who would have the knowledge in the first place. ;D
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 February 20 18:14 GMT (UK) »
"Oh, and there's the problem of preparing a bird or rabbit......plucked and skinned, who would do that in a 21 century kitchen. ::) ;D.......and who would have the knowledge in the first place. ;D"

I processed a Pheasant last week. Never tried anything like that before but just followed a film guide on the internet. No bother! Not sure I'd want to do it too often though.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 February 20 18:17 GMT (UK) »
"Oh, and there's the problem of preparing a bird or rabbit......plucked and skinned, who would do that in a 21 century kitchen. ::) ;D.......and who would have the knowledge in the first place. ;D"

I processed a Pheasant last week. Never tried anything like that before but just followed a film guide on the internet. No bother! Not sure I'd want to do it too often though.

Imber

That's cheating. ;D ;D

//
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/