Author Topic: Thomas Stafford (1605-1677)  (Read 4442 times)

Offline sinscarcity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Stafford (1605-1677)
« on: Sunday 09 February 20 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

Who are the parents of Thomas Stafford who was born in Warwickshire, England in 1605 and passed away in Warwick, Kent County, Rhode Island in 1677? Also, who are his grandparents?

Any help would be truly and greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

George

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Stafford (1605-1677)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »
You don't say what you already know about him, or what avenues you have already tried.

How do you know he came from Warwickshire? Do you know whereabouts?
Where were his children born and/or baptised? - this may not help if they were born in America of course. What about his wife? Do you know who she was, and where they were married?

Have you tried searching on Ancestry, findmypast and familysearch? - the 3 biggest sites for genealogy.

To avoid Rootschat members going over ground you have already covered, it's always helpful to say, briefly, what you already know, and what you have tried to find out.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline sinscarcity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 20 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Among other children, Thomas had a daughter named Hannah (1640-1692) who married Luke Bromley (1635) in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island. All of those people are ancestors of mine on my father’s side of the family. The Encyclopedia of Massachusetts: Biographical Genealogical states that Thomas was born in Warwickshire, England in 1605. The wife of Thomas is Elizabeth, although her surname is unknown. I use Ancestry and Family Search very extensively on a regular basis in an attempt to gather information that I need. I am a member of both of those sites. I have used Findmypast before, although I did not find it to be useful at all. Additionally, Thomas passed away in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island in 1677. It is often claimed that he descends from the Stafford family that produced the Dukes of Buckingham, but official records are necessary to prove his line of descent.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 February 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has a large Stafford family in Nuneaton with a number of baptisms between 1590 and 1610.  However, there is not a Thomas among them.   :(

Bev

Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 February 20 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Among other children, Thomas had a daughter named Hannah (1640-1692) who married Luke Bromley (1635) in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island. All of those people are ancestors of mine on my father’s side of the family. The Encyclopedia of Massachusetts: Biographical Genealogical states that Thomas was born in Warwickshire, England in 1605. The wife of Thomas is Elizabeth, although her surname is unknown. I use Ancestry and Family Search very extensively on a regular basis in an attempt to gather information that I need. I am a member of both of those sites. I have used Findmypast before, although I did not find it to be useful at all. Additionally, Thomas passed away in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island in 1677. It is often claimed that he descends from the Stafford family that produced the Dukes of Buckingham, but official records are necessary to prove his line of descent.

Thanks for all the background information.
That's very useful to know.

What a pity the entry in The Encyclopedia of Massachusetts wasn't more specific!
Do you know if he and Elizabeth were married in America or back in the UK?

Have you tried looking at wills of Stafford people in Warwicksire?
I see there is a will for an Ann Stafford at Nuneaton died 1636.
Perhaps the son Thomas wasn't baptised or his baptism is missing.
Perhaps she mentions a son Thomas who is in America! - well, we can live in hope!  :)

No doubt other Stafford wills in Warwickshire.
They would be worth a look.
They are on findmypast, as this part of north Warwickshire came under the Lichfield diocese.
South Warwickshire came under the diocese of Worcester. I think these are also on findmypast.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline sinscarcity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 February 20 06:45 GMT (UK) »
I have attached a screenshot of a will from Family Search that proves that Hannah Stafford (1640-1692) who married Luke Bromley (1635) is in fact the daughter of Thomas Stafford (1605-1677). I have attached a second screenshot with additional information about Thomas. It is widely thought that Roger Stafford (6th Baron of Stafford, 1572-1640) is the father of Thomas. However, there is compelling evidence that Roger was too poor to maintain the title of Baron of Stafford and that King Charles I forced him to surrender that title. Furthermore, it is claimed by William Dugdale Esq, North King of Arms in the visitation of Stafford in the years 1663-1664 that Roger was locked up in Arundel House to prevent him from marrying. It is therefore implied that he could not possibly be the father of Thomas. The other possibility is that Thomas could be an illegitimate son of Roger. There was also a rather bizarre claim that he originated from Romania based on Haplogroup tests of certain descendants of his. Haplogroup results are of course subject to interpretation on an individual basis and do not prove or disprove a person’s country of origin. My step mom is actually from Romania and I also have Romanian friends as well. I don’t know of any people from Romania who have English surnames. I signed up for a month of Findmypast’s best service and searched for records. All of the records that I examined did not contain any information of use however. The question becomes, if Roger is not the father of Thomas, who is?

copyright images removed

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 February 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline sinscarcity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 February 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
On my father’s side where I am currently looking into two Stafford lines, I actually don’t have that Haplogroup that is listed on that page. My Haplogroup is R-DF109 and it belongs to the Haplogroup R-M222. R-M222 is a member of the larger R-L21 Haplogroup which itself is a member of the R1b Haplogroup. The noble Stafford family descends from the R1 Haplogroup family as well. But to be fair once again, Haplogroups do not prove or disprove a person’s ancestral background because they are subject to various interpretations on an individual basis. Additionally, I received my Haplogroup information from a test that I took with Living DNA :)

Offline MitoKate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
What have you found since posting your question? I am a female descendant of this Thomas Stafford and I suspect he was not a Stafford at all. Since the haplogroup for the males in this group is very different than that of the Staffords still in England, we can be sure his father was not one of The Staffords as he claimed.

We know that he had a Roman soldier ancestor. We know that he knew how to build a water mill for grain and we know that he arrived in the Americas in his 20s with someones Coat of Arms (Stafford? Maybe).

I do not think that you are related to this line but I’d love your help in solving this mystery.

We know that his male descendants are in the rare subclade E-V13. How do we find a list of likely fathers?