Author Topic: Identify cap badge  (Read 987 times)

Offline jordan1977

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identify cap badge
« on: Sunday 09 February 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone identify the cap badge worn by my uncle, Kenneth George Thomas?  A family member says his regiment was at Bergen-Belsen when it was liberated but without knowing which regiment he served in we have no idea if this could be true.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Apologies if I have done this wrong.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identify cap badge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 20 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I would propose the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=50FE92D915325A3D69A5FFE30B3BD09837ED1C38&thid=OIP.5oLRNNaLvbMGKuX_lS7b4AHaHa&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbritishmilitarybadges.e2ecdn.co.uk%2FProducts%2F0aayzhghjgfjhf9999882_26.jpg%3Fw%3D547%26h%3D547%26quality%3D85%26scale%3Dcanvas&exph=547&expw=547&q=yeomnary+cap+badges+ww2&selectedindex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=2,6

The regiment were certainly in the north of Germany, they took part in the attack on Bremen (70 miles north of Bergen Belsen) on 21 to 28 April 1945 and then went further north.   Their advance towards Bremen from Cloppenburg didn't take them anywhere near Bergen Belsen.  There is no mention of Belsen in "Hard Fighting" their history.  The first troops there were from 113 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery

That said, there is anecdotal evidence of many units who ended the war in that area visiting Belsen after the liberation on 15 April before it was burnt down in May 1945.  Google "British Units at the liberation of Belsen" for information.

The only way to be sure is to apply for his service record (you don't need his regiment or number) that will confirm who he was with at least.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

MaxD

PS. You are absolutely right to want to check his unit.  This is not meant to be rude but the well-meant "he was at the liberation of Belsen" family stories are as prolific as "he was at the Somme" in the Great War.  The story may have come about because it was 3rd Division who advanced upon the Bergen Belsen area and the SRY had belonged to that division up to the beginning of April at Cloppenburg.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jordan1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 February 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Max for your reply.  I knew it maybe just a family story but was worth a try.  Unfortunately
the service record for my uncle is missing and I cannot identify him on any of the online records but I will keep trying.  Thank you again, you have helped a lot.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 February 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Details are not online for WW2. From 1920 the documents are with MOD.

You will have to pay £30.00

Death over 25 yrs ago and anyone can apply.

Death under 25 yrs next of kin or with the permission of next of kin.

Death cert required, you do not need service number if you have date of birth

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel
GEDmatch M157477

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 February 20 13:47 GMT (UK) »
You may find this of interest;

https://sherwoodrangers.org.uk/ww2/4580429481

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jordan1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 February 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again MaxD I look forward to reading about the Sherwood Rangers.  MedPat thank you too. I was referring to the Forces War Records website when I said I couldn’t find him online.  The only Kenneth George Thomas on that site was with the Canadian Forces and none of the Kenneth Thomas’ were in the Sherwood Rangers.  I will look further but I am beginning to think that it maybe a family legend!!

Offline karlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
The cap badge is indeed Sherwood Rangers, but they did not go to Belsen.
In fact they were involved in the liberation of Sandbostel Camp, which was known as Little Belsen.
As someone has already said, everyone seems to have liberated Belsen, and I've heard this alot thru my research of the SRY (Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry).
I was delighted to see the portrait of your uncle. Unfort I dont recognise the name and it seems he was not wounded at least in Europe for he is not on the casualty list.
I do have squadron photos of the entire Regiment before they left for Normandy, we may be able to pick him out if he was with them then.
Do you have absolutely any other info or photos or documents on him?..Where was he from?   look forward to hearing from you...K

Offline karlo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
centre?....EDIT update,,,actually, i dont think it is him ...there was only one Thomas in C Squadron

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 15:40 BST (UK) »