Author Topic: Trinity College Glenalmond  (Read 532 times)

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trinity College Glenalmond
« on: Sunday 09 February 20 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Evening all. Does anyone have any knowledge of Trinity College Glenalmond, between 1900 and 1920? We're trying to solve the back story of Elizabeth Hyslop, and her mother, also Elizabeth Hyslop, who was my mother-in-law's mother and grandmother, who, according to family stories, had some connection to the college around that time. Pretty sure she didn't study there but may have been employed there. Anybody know if there are any staff records anywhere?
Mills, Dallas, Stewart, McCulloch,

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trinity College Glenalmond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Try emailing their info address. Now known as Glenalmond College, details on their website. They are reasonably likely to have an archivist.

Address is info <at> glenalmondcollege.co.uk
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:53 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Lucy Hyslop, aged 38, in Methven in the 1911 census, and an Elizabeth Forto? Hislop, 67, in Auchterarder. I think Glenalmond College is in the parish of Methven, so it might be worth having a look at the full census image at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (pay-per-view, but modestly priced).

You can be absolutely certain that neither of your Elizabeths studied there because the school did not admit girls until the 1990s, and even then only in the sixth form to start with.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline snowolf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I know this is of no help about your Elizabeth .....
 Just want to say  I used to live in GlenAlmond
 this was around 1970/72 my parents worked at the College ,my dad was caretaker , and mum a domestic, most of the staff lived in the cottages on the colleges grounds.
  I went to Methven primary School  a Taxi (provided by school) would come & pick about 3 - 4 of us up in total  (me being last ) .....but had to go to the main road to be picked up .then after school a bus would take us with more kids  going to Tibbermore first .
If i remember right ,Methven was about 5 miles from GlenAlmond...........and GlenAlmond was about 10 miles from Perth, .....& on A Saturday the Collage would put a bus on for the workers  to go to Perth, if it was a school holiday , my parents would take me to the college with them .
   ANOTHER bit of information   ;D....the Actor "Robbie Coltrane" was a pupil at College.

anyway thanks for letting me ramble on
Snowolf :)
"Durward"... (logie-pert, Dundee, Scotland,& Sydney ,Australia ,New Hampshire , U.S.A ).  "Johnston"..(Logie-pert, "Smith".."Arbuthnott/ monifieth/Montrose/laurencekirk , Scotland) "Kennedy"..(Dundee,Comrie) Scotland  & Australia. "Marshall"..(alloa, Clackmannanshire , Scotland). 
" Myles".. ( Scone, Perthshire , Scotland).
"Edward".. (Kincardneshire ,Dundee,Scotland),  Taylor..(Garvock,Kincardineshire,Scotland) , "Young"..(Kincardineshire),Scotland.
"Robertson"..Perthshire ,Scotland)