Author Topic: Marriage of Henry Amos Bowdidge and Sarah Emily Churchill  (Read 680 times)

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage of Henry Amos Bowdidge and Sarah Emily Churchill
« on: Tuesday 11 February 20 17:58 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents (mother's paternal grandparents) were Henry Amos Bowdidge (1859-1903) and Sarah Emily Churchill (1868-1930) and were both natives of Dorset.

When I first searched for details of their marriage I couldn't find it, and so just assumed that they didn't bother getting married and that that sort of thing was normal in those days.

However I've got much more into tracking down the family history in the last year, and realised that it was actually quite unusual for couples not to marry, especially if they lived outside of big cities and had family around them. Certainly I've had no trouble in finding the marriages of all of Henry and Sarah's various siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.

In addition, my mother thinks that she saw their marriage in a parish records book several decades ago, but can't recall the details.

It's possibly that Sarah Emily changed her name when she became orphaned at age 11 or so and was looked after by various aunts and uncles. Details of her family's plight is touched upon in this online article which mentions what happened to three of her siblings:
https://myancestors.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/three-mullers-orphans/

Henry's surname, Bowdidge, is spelt all sorts of ways in the various censuses. But I've tried every variation I can think of and even pored over every marriage for a Henry or Harry in Dorset and Devon between 1883 (when Sarah would have been 14/15) to 1887 (when their first child was born and christened) and beyond.

I'm not sure what to try next. The Dorset Family History Society looks promising - does anyone have any experience of that place? Does it offer access to records which aren't available online?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Henry Amos Bowdidge and Sarah Emily Churchill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 18:11 GMT (UK) »
What maiden name did Sarah use on the birth of the children please? If she didn't use Churchill she may have used the same name as she used as a maiden name at the birth.

You can find the births on the GRO index with maiden names.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

I would have looked but had no children's christian names.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 18:23 GMT (UK) »
How funny, I didn't realise the mother's maiden name was included in the GRO records before 1911 (which is when freebmd starts including it).

Anyway, I've just checked, and the mother's maiden name for their first child, William, born in 1887 was given as Churchill.

Here are all the children:

William John Bowdidge (1887 - 1939)
George Henry Bowdidge (1891 - 1960)
Elsie Emily Bowdidge (1893 - 1932)
Albert Charles Bowdidge (1895 - 1928)
Walter Frederick Victor Bowdidge (1897 - 1978)
Arthur Edward Bowdidge (1901 - 1977)
Sarah Ettie Helen Bowdidge (1903 - 1987)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Gallicrow -- bang goes that theory then!!

Yes -- GRO have now included mother's maiden names on their index from when Civil Registration started in July 1837. You can also order PDF copies for of a birth cert for £7 as opposed to £11 for a paper certificate.

Ages at death have also been included from 1837 (July) -- again you can order a PDF copy.

So far not found a marriage between Henry and Sarah -- I was hoping that a different maiden name had been used.

Back to the drawing board!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 February 20 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, notice from many family trees on Ancestry that he is not found in 1881 census. Thought he may have married but no-still single. Ref RG11 2127 29 14. Believe he's with his father. Surname transcribed as BODAGE.

John

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 February 20 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much John. It took me a while to find that 1881 census entry myself! I still don't know where and when Henry's father, John, died, he seems to have travelled around a lot and may have separated from his wife by 1881. I found two deaths for a John Bowdidge that looked hopeful, but couldn't work out which one was likely to be correct.

Here is the information I've entered for Henry Amos Bowdidge on Family Search, which includes where he was for all five censuses that his life spanned:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GSB9-Y6Z