Author Topic: RootsChat noob researching BURKE & SCOTT...  (Read 390 times)

Offline amaddaleni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RootsChat noob researching BURKE & SCOTT...
« on: Wednesday 12 February 20 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

As noted, I'm new here; I hope this is the appropriate place to post this query! I've hit a wall that I'm really struggling to even get a brick out of and the possibilities of where I could search, especially considering the commonality of the name I'm searching, has me truly overwhelmed beyond any other point in this quest. And this wonderful site has so much info, I don't even know where to start.

I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in a good direction of where I can pick up the search again. Even if it's not info related to the specific queries I mention below...anything- tips, tricks, ideas, advice on where might be a good place to look next would be so amazing. Even general history information about the locations in question that might provide a clue would be so great.

All of the info, people, connections, etc I mention below are confirmed by records that I've found and pieced together. I won't give too many specifics on the front end of this history as the wall, per usual, is found at the back and I don't want to overload with non-pertinent info.

I live in Boston, Massachusetts and I'm the 3rd generation to be born here (and in America, in general) on the side I'm researching. My g-grandmother and g-grandfather moved here in 1911 and 1914, respectively, from Newfoundland, where they were born in the mid 1890s. After a lot of research (that is still ongoing), I was very fortunate to be able to trace multiple branches of this tree in Newfoundland, all the way back to the late 1700s, to two sets of 5x g-grandparents. And here is where the wall slams down in my face. Theses are the relatives in question:

Edmund Burke (1775-1848)
- "native of County Cork"
- Published research states he fled Ireland during the 1798 rebellion
- Buried in Brigus, Newfoundland
- m. Sarah Elms (or Elmes) of Bay Roberts in Newfoundland, though I'm still working on that date .

Philip Scott
- From "Tintern Parish, Co. Wexford"
- M. Sarah Mulcahy of Bay Bulls 29 Oct 1910
- Interesting note for this query: it the obit of his granddaughter (my 3x ggmother), it states that, through this line there was a "close connection to Sir Walter Scott". I have yet to find anything that proves this and have all but decided it was just an old family tall tale...still, would be pretty neat if it were true.

So, that's the bare bones of it. Again, I'm happy to give any more info if anyone wants it...I just feel like things can get really confusing really fast when too much info is given in written format. But it's this point where I'm stuck. I went from hunting down specific details that fine tune the stories of family members to the place I'm at now...where I'm searching records on two extremely common names and can narrow the location down to "All of western Canada and Western Europe...maybe?".

The earliest records for any of the above is marriage records- so anything that could help me determine birth, e/immigration, etc. would be stellar.

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me or even just for reading all this. I haven't been here long but you all seem wonderful.

Best,
Amanda

Newfoundland: Burke, Elmes/Elms, James, Mackey, Meaney, Mulcahy, Scott

Co. Cork: Burke/Bourke
Co. Wexford: Scott

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat noob hoping this is the best place to start...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from a fellow Massachusetts native [Lexington].  Sorry I can't help you with Canada.  Frankly, I get a sinking feeling every time I discover that one of my quarry has gone over the line into Canada.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline amaddaleni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat noob hoping this is the best place to start...
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi friend! I'm right outside Boston (Malden) but I know Lexington fairly well believe it or not! Beautiful part of the state and I always wished I lived closer to Wilson's farm...

So I've actually had a decent amount of success in my Canadian research...but I think that's mostly due to where my ancestors set up shop. From what I can tell, Newfoundlanders are supremely tribal and they (rightfully) take a lot of pride in their lineages on "the rock". Genealogy is a pretty big deal there and the the information is there if you're willing to dig through it.

My problem is what happened before they got to Canada...admittedly, at this point were talking about the late 1700s and records tend to get pretty thin by that point.
Newfoundland: Burke, Elmes/Elms, James, Mackey, Meaney, Mulcahy, Scott

Co. Cork: Burke/Bourke
Co. Wexford: Scott

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat noob researching BURKE & SCOTT...
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 04:16 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean about trying to link common names back to the 'old country.' 

Wilson's Farm - I bet it's been at least 50 years since I was there.  I left Massachusetts a long time ago and just kept heading south.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis