Author Topic: family name Kell  (Read 2894 times)

Offline valconn21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
family name Kell
« on: Wednesday 12 February 20 21:25 GMT (UK) »
can anyone give me advice on how i may find further information on my 2x great grandfather thomas kell born about 1820 maybe Dublin , and his father james kell, and were both boot and shoe makers (master). my information comes from England census 1861 when thomas is found in Manchester and from marriage cert, of 1870 when he married a maria jones. i am thinking of a visit to Dublin to further my research but need advice on where to start, assuming there is information to be found.
many thanks in anticipation

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: family name Kell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 20 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Directories which list tradesmen in Manchester or Dublin.
Electoral registers for Manchester.
Did either leave a will?
Who were marriage witnesses? Could they have been relatives? Was it noted if James was deceased at the time of his son's marriage?
Cowban

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 20 07:59 GMT (UK) »
You need to read the pinned notices in this board ;D
Birth is before Civil Registration, so you will be reliant on Parish records.

First question - what religious denomination were they?
Which parish? And preferably, which townland?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 20 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I have come across this name when researching Kyle relatives in Northern Ireland, this name led me back to Kell. I was reliably informed that name is always written as Kyle - spoken as Kell?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 20 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I have come across this name when researching Kyle relatives in Northern Ireland, this name led me back to Kell. I was reliably informed that name is always written as Kyle - spoken as Kell?
Colin
Kyle is pronounced as kile not kell (and sometimes written as Kile in older records).

The surname Kell is found in Dublin- 
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

There is one KILE entry in civil records (1881 death)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06431/4847802.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 February 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
"Kyle is pronounced as kile not kell (and sometimes written as Kile in older records)"

That was not my experience in County Antrim.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 February 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »
can anyone give me advice on how i may find further information on my 2x great grandfather thomas kell born about 1820 maybe Dublin , and his father james kell
 i am thinking of a visit to Dublin to further my research but need advice on where to start, assuming there is information to be found.

I suggest Irish Genealogy Toolkit as an introduction.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com
Select "Genealogy" tab, begin at "Getting started".
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 February 20 20:27 GMT (UK) »
"Kyle is pronounced as kile not kell (and sometimes written as Kile in older records)"

That was not my experience in County Antrim.

Colin

In North Antrim and North Derry 'kile' is the common pronunciation and I've not heard 'kell' before.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 February 20 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Extracted from the Kyle family history website.
KYLE is a Scottish place type name taken from the Celtic language “caol”, which means “narrow or straight”. Most European languages were influenced by Latin, which did not use the letter “K” or “Y”.  Early spellings include CEOL; CIL, which was Anglo-Saxon, the German and Dutch, used KEHL, KEIL, KELL, COIL, and KAIL.  The English form was KAIL, KYLL, KAILE, and KILE.  The Anglo-Saxons introduced the letter “Y” to replace the “I”.  The “C” when pronounced “K” was changed to “K” after it was introduced, which leads to the modern spelling of “KYLE”.  Records show some people used these different spellings interchangeably.  A Clerk with an IRISH tongue could readily spell KYLE as COYLE, CEOL, COIL or KOYLE.  Since very few people were well educated spelling suffered greatly throughout written records.  The KYLE Family spellings can be traced back to the year 702 Scots invaders were defeated at Coilsfield by Coilus, a British king. The spelling variations include:  Cael, Caeles, Caelus, Caelius, Cill, Cil, Coales, Coales, Coel, Coelius, Cole, Cola, Coil, Coile, Coils, Coilius, Colees, Coles, Coleye, Colles, Collye, Coyl, Colye, Coyll, Cooals, Cooils, Cooles, Cooyles, Cooyell, Cooylles, Coyl, Coyles, Coylle, Coylles, Coyls, Cyll, Kaal, Kaale, Kail, Kaile, Kaul, Kayle, Kayll, Kile, Koil, Koile, Koiles, Koill, Koyel, Koyl, Kuyle, Kyolle, Kyle, Kylle and there may be others.