Author Topic: Thomas Richardson abt 1804 Rothbury  (Read 813 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Richardson abt 1804 Rothbury
« on: Thursday 13 February 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find Thomas Richardson born abt 1804 in Rothbury however I am unsure as of yet that I have the correct one. My husband`s 2 x great grandfather was John Richardson born 1828 in Ellingham Northumberland. This is based on the census 1841, 1851,1871 and 1881. On the 1861 census him and his wife are staying with her grandfather in Adderstone and his birth place is transcribed as Preston.

Besides not been able to find John Richardson`s birth is there are 2 John Richardsons both born in 1828 and on the census both born in Preston, Ellingham.

John Richardson`s wife Elizabeth died in 1873 and John married Elizabeth`s niece Sarah Burn in 1878. I have a copy of the marriage certificate and the entry for Johns father is Thomas Richardson a farm servant.

On the 1871 census John Richardson and his family are living at Twizel Mill, Adderstone Northumberland, a Gamekeeper and further down the same page is Thomas Richardson aged 66 a gardeners labourer born in Rothbury and his wife Jane aged 65 born in Newstead. Thomas had a lodger named John Black who was a witness at Johns wedding.

On the 1861 census I have a Thomas Richardson born in abt 1805 in Longhorsley with wife Jane born in Newstead and grandson John aged 8 born in Birchwood Hall living in Adderstone

On the 1851 census Thomas, Jane his wife together with son John and daughter Margaret are living in Newstead.

On the 1841 census Thomas, Jane, John and Mary are living in Newstead.

There is a baptism 19th Feb 1832 in Warrenford presbyterian father Thomas Richardson mother Jane Price which would fit.

There is a marriage Thomas Richardson 27th May 1827 in Ellingham to Jane Price/Rice which would fit.

I haven`t found a birth for John Richardson in 1828.
Thomas Richardson birth in abt 1804 in Rothbury
I havent found the parents of John Richardson who would have been born abt 1853 in Birchwood Hall.

I wondered if anyone could add anything else, I`m not even sure I have the right parents. I would really appreciate it if someone could find a record for any of the births that I am missing

Susan

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Richardson abt 1804 Rothbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find a Thomas Richardson baptised Rothbury in or around 1804 but I did look at the two baptisms for John Richardson in Ellingham in 1828 -

7/10/1827 John Thompson Richardson son of Ann Richardson single woman of Preston (John Thompson reputed father)

23/3/1828 John Richardson son of Thomas and Jane of Preston in this parish, Hind

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find a Thomas Richardson baptised Rothbury in or around 1804 but I did look at the two baptisms for John Richardson in Ellingham in 1828 -

7/10/1827 John Thompson Richardson son of Ann Richardson single woman of Preston (John Thompson reputed father)

23/3/1828 John Richardson son of Thomas and Jane of Preston in this parish, Hind

Christine

Thankyou for taking the time to look for me Christine. It does seem more to be the Thomas Richardson and Jane Price as Johns parents.

It seems like Thomas may have been presbyterian which makes him harder to find.

I did find the grandson John Richardson born 1853 in Birchwood Hall. He was the son of Mary Ann Richardson
Name   John Richardson
Gender Male
Birth Date  21 Oct 1853
Birth Place Presbyterian,Warenford,Northumberland,England
Father  Edward Fraser
Mother Mary Ann Richardson
FHL Film Number 1066783

Susan

NameAge
        NameEdward Fraser
        NameMary Ann Richardson
        NameJohn Richardson

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - the only Richardson I came across in Rothbury was a William born 1808 and he is shown as the third son.  I'm wondering whether Thomas could have been born elsewhere but only remembers being in Rothbury as a child.

Because it's during the Barrington years there is a lot of detail for William.

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 February 20 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - the only Richardson I came across in Rothbury was a William born 1808 and he is shown as the third son.  I'm wondering whether Thomas could have been born elsewhere but only remembers being in Rothbury as a child.

Because it's during the Barrington years there is a lot of detail for William.

Christine

Ahh I see what you mean Christine. I have had a look at the Rothbury  bishops transcripts  and found a birth for Alice Richardson of Debdon born July 6th baptised Sept 2nd 1810 7th daughter of John Richardson collier native of Bywell St Andrews by his wife Elizabeth daughter of John Henderson native of Allandale.

Would these be the same parents of William as on the bishops transcripts on family search its only showing Wm S of John and Elizbth Richardson Apr 3rd 1808.

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 February 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, same parents and parent detail.  Also same abode (Dibden). Born 17/1/1808 and baptised 3/4/1808.

When searching for Thomas I looked from 1800 to 1808 and found only William so I suspect that the couple arrived in Rothbury sometime before 3/4/1808 with a tribe consisting of 2 sons and 6 daughters (barring infant deaths).  It is possible that one of those sons was Thomas but not guaranteed.

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 February 20 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, same parents and parent detail.  Also same abode (Dibden). Born 17/1/1808 and baptised 3/4/1808.

When searching for Thomas I looked from 1800 to 1808 and found only William so I suspect that the couple arrived in Rothbury sometime before 3/4/1808 with a tribe consisting of 2 sons and 6 daughters (barring infant deaths).  It is possible that one of those sons was Thomas but not guaranteed.

Hi Christine

There is a son called Thomas, however it is Birth date 1 Feb 1798 christening Gosforth parents John Richardson and Elizabeth Henderson

Elizabeth Christened 18 June 1800 St Johns Newcastle John Richardson and Elizabeth Henderson parents

Hannah christened 17 Oct 1802 Newburn John Richardson and Elizabeth Henderson parents

John Richardson 15 Nov 1795 Newburn John Richardson and Elizabeth- no surname

John Richardson and Elizabeth Henderson were married 27 March 1790 in Allandale.

They seem to have scattered about a fair bit. Do you think this Thomas birth could still be him?  ???

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 February 20 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Everything ties in to it being the same couple but I would have thought that someone born 1798 would remember being in places prior to Rothbury.  I'd be inclined to see if I could find a death for this Thomas and a possible 'replacement' later.

There are another 4 girls not on your list.  Judging by all the locations they could be anywhere!

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 February 20 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Everything ties in to it being the same couple but I would have thought that someone born 1798 would remember being in places prior to Rothbury.  I'd be inclined to see if I could find a death for this Thomas and a possible 'replacement' later.

There are another 4 girls not on your list.  Judging by all the locations they could be anywhere!

Hi Christine

The last census Thomas appeared was 1871 in Adderstone.
Thomas Richardson death registered Dec qtr 1879 aged 74 Belford Northumberland
Volume 10b Page 228

I have ordered this one and also his wifes Jane

Jane Richardson death registered Jun qtr 1875 aged 68, Belford RD
Volume     10b Page     232

On the same page on the 1871 census John Richardson his son and his first wife Elizabeth and family were living. Elizabeth died in 1873 which is also in Belford Parish so hopefully John might appear on the death certificate to confirm it

Susan