Author Topic: William Golet Galet Galert Golert Galu.. or ??  (Read 320 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
William Golet Galet Galert Golert Galu.. or ??
« on: Friday 14 February 20 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I wondered what you make of this William witness signature please, on an 1851 Selby, Yorkshire, England, Marriage, James Hood to Sarah Arundel?

Selby was a Port linked with Hull, so also a possibility of being foreign?

Copyists at the GRO copied it to look like Cale.. and a squiggle, but looks like it begins with a G.

I noticed Golet is a surname on the 19th Century GRO England Indexes and also a Baptism at All Saints, Emscote, Warwick in 1882.

Mark

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Golet Galet Galert Golert Galu.. or ??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
It's possibly William Galpine, printer and bookseller in Selby, or his son William,
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I see Calvert?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Carol - I see Calvert too.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 20 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you all, for the replies so far, regarding the original William, Selby Parish Register witness signature (surname) top scan.

I'll look for a matching example.
 ----------
William Richard Galpine of Selby (1841) and at Thorp Arch (1851 Census), was born Stalbridge, Dorset. He married at Marnhull, Dorset in 1827 and the Register says of Selby, Yorkshire (on FS when signed in), but the 'p' and the stick on the letter 'p' is very pronounced on his 1827 Dorset Marriage. Interesting suggestion, as Galpine's 'e' at the end is a tall squiggle of an e.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

I wondered what you make of this William witness signature please, on an 1851 Selby, Yorkshire, England, Marriage, James Hood to Sarah Arundel?

Copyists at the GRO copied it to look like Calv..

Mark

James Hood and Sarah (nee Arundel) of Selby used middle surnames when naming their children (all but two are our early known Hood lineage). One unconfirmed being Elizabeth Cook Hood (who later signed the Cook part of her name with an e on the end and without an e, at family Marriages.

My late Grandmother said we were related to Robinson, mentioned James / Thomas Cook and places of Snaith and Beverley, Yorkshire, too.

Calvert - Cooke link
Regarding William Calvert present at the 1851 Wedding of James Hood & Sarah Arundel, previously in 1838 at Selby a William Calvert (Residence Hook Parish of Snaith) married a Mary Cooke, full age, Spinster, Father James Cook, Farmer.

Mary Cooke was born Rawcliffe about 1808 (1851 Census) and baptised in the Rawcliffe Chapel (also indexed as Goole Fields), Daughter of James Cooke, Farmer.

Another Cooke baptism at the Rawcliffe Chapel with James Cooke, Farmer as Father, has Wraith as a middle name.

James Cooke and Ann Wraith of Rawcliffe, married Snaith 1796, witnessed by John Cooke & Will'm Padgitt.
 ----------
Recapping, Cecilia who was just about to become my 2 X Gt Grandmother worked at a Leicester Hotel in 1871 and one of the Proprietors (the Wife) was born at Carlton / Selby and was a nee Robinson, who links to one of the many Cookes at Carlton / Snaith.
 ------------
My earliest confirmed (by documents) HOOD ancestor has no circa 1785 Yorkshire, England, baptism / Birth Record.

But one of the possibles for a Father was a John Hood, Master Mariner (born Scarborough, Abode Selby) and his Crew 'Mate' in 1785 was John Ellerthorpe, Mate, 30, born Rawcliffe (Muster Roll at Hull) given as Sailor when he married Sarah England 1777 and were having their children baptised in the same Rawcliffe Chapel, which also confirms him to be a Mariner and one of their earliest baptisms says his Wife was Sarah.

The Muster Roll also confirms another Crew member to be Richard Newton, 28, born Selby, abode Selby and was interested to note in 1773 that a Samuel Cook married Ann Newton at Selby.

Some witness surnames on Master Mariner, John Hood's, Daughter's marriage of Maudland Hood seem to have cropped up too:- 1. Mary Ann Prince, her Father James Prince might be the James Prince witness on Samuel Cook's 1807 Will (Jno Dodsworth & Ann Dodsworth witnesses on the same Will, Ann appears to be nee Ann Robinson) and 2. Frances Stears, a Jane Stears is a witness at one of my earlier Burton ancestor marriages.

We'll see what further connections, Wills and documents can be found about the particular COOKEs identified and their relatives.

Mark  :D