Author Topic: Surnames and religions?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surnames and religions?
« on: Friday 14 February 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way of narrowing down the search for Irish ancestry, when the people concerned have not given a place of birth other than "Ireland" for most census returns when they lived in England?
Are particular surnames especially associated with Roman Catholicism, or Protestantism? I have Paton/ Payton/ Pateen, which I'm fairly certain from other evidence, is at least in their case associated with R.C., but Cummins and Keating and Anderson..... needles in haystacks spring to mind!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames and religions?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 20 17:10 GMT (UK) »

Have you tried entering Surnames on Census ?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 20 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I had just been about to say:

Find out where the surname occurred on various lists over time, Freeholders, Tithes lists, Griffiths.
If you have two names you can see where they occurred together when Griffith's valuation was done:

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames/

Both methods only work, if at all, with unusual surnames.

Sometimes a given name occurs more in certain areas than others. Florence as a male name is one example, but now I don't remember where, I think McCarthys in Cork, but don't quote me.

I was looking for an ancestor on a U.S. record named Bartholomew McCran once, and out of desparation, just Googled the name. Turned out there weren't a lot of men by that name in the world ever, and the ones that were came from Sligo, or most of them. But I wouldn't try that with "Pat Murphy".

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
And I will be interested in seeing the other replies to the question about surnames and religion.

In the area where my grandparents came from, I can kind of tell the religion by the surname, but they intermarried based on religion and I've been looking at the records for years. That makes it easier. Even then, I think a few names in the area, and in my family, are tossups.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I tried both land records and Griffiths ... but couldn't really do anything worthwhile with them, as I have so little information prior to the arrival of both of the problem families in England , and no information for certain about parentage -
The Thomas Cummins b Ireland might have have originated in Wexford area about 1840, and may have had parents Thomas and Mary, although he also gives Tipperary as a birthplace, in 1861. From then he gives "Ireland" until 1891, when he decides he's born in Tipperary again, although in 1901 he goes back to Ireland generally. In 1911 he opts for "Tipperary, County Tipperary, British subject by parentage"???
The other irritating family pops up with an Andrew Keating, born Ireland in about 1864, who was a baker in 1891. I can't find him for certain earlier than that census, and it's not until the 1911 census that he gives more than "Ireland", for then he claims Dublin as a birthplace. He died in about 1933 in Lancashire.
Both men had children who - at least in the cases of the ones in my direct line - married protestants, although one ( Keating)had a second wife who was R.C.
I simply wondered if there was any way to try to find out if certain surnames were likelier to be Protestant or Roman Catholic, to try and help me to narrow things down a little. I've been completely stalled for years -hence the clutching at straws.
Thank you for your time and attention.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 February 20 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I am just wondering why you don't think Thomas Cummins was born in Tipperary when he has shown this on a census record -- also Andrew Keating has given Dublin.

Often when they first come over from Ireland they tend to live near other Irish people born in the same location. Are there others nearby on census records?

Unfortunately there is more than one possibility in Tipperary for Thomas around 1840 that I can see - only one with a father Thomas and none with a mother Mary though.

I must confess I had never thought of surnames being anything to do with Religion - but always thought that mainly people from Southern Ireland are more likely to be RC than those from the North. I think this is an assumption on my part and we should never assume should we! (I have no doubt that somebody will now tell me that my assumption is rubbish!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 February 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »

If you know names of a non RC couple that Married  pre 1864 you can just Name in on Civil Reg with year range,  and Search leaving District empty. All pre1864 are non RC.

If you know a couple Married around 1868 but don't know where you can Search e.g 1866 to 1869 just using name and ticking Marriage box using the Irish Govt BDM Website, Certs are Free

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

you have to solve Security Captcha and can use initials to sign in! Safe site.

e.g Birth, Marriage and Death results for Keating anywhere from 1844 to 1863  which is Marriage only!

LINK     http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p1r/  and scroll through them, see if you see any you want.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 February 20 18:56 GMT (UK) »

You also have https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

where you can do a search like this...then select Dublin and Religion.

you have to solve Security Captcha and can use initials to sign in!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 February 20 18:58 GMT (UK) »