Author Topic: WATKINS, Jeremiah born ca 1789 poss. Llanfoist  (Read 788 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
WATKINS, Jeremiah born ca 1789 poss. Llanfoist
« on: Saturday 15 February 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
 I am stuck on the above Jeremiah WATKINS. What I know is that he married Rachel JEREMIAH  Marriage
12th June 1814 • Goytre, Monmouthshire, Wales
Jeremiah Watkins of Llanfoist, bach and Rachel Jeremiah of Goytre Spin by Banns. Jeremiah X'd and Rachel signed as did her father Richard and Margaret Lewis [Witnesses].
I believe that Jeremiah is the son of Richard WATKINS b ca 1745 Llanfoist who married Mary REECE.

I feel that this is a Non-Conformist family as I cannot find any sight of Jeremiah's baptism.
Jeremiah and Rachel had 2 daughters and one Mary (b 1827 Govilan [Deri] Monmouthshire) married Thomas EDWARDS 04 Jan 1824 • Newtown, Montgomery, Wales.

Many thanks for any help.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: WATKINS, Jeremiah born ca 1789 poss. Llanfoist
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Jeremiah on census anywhere
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank You  - yes I have both the 1841 and 1851 census both of which are consistent with what I know. I have both of their deaths too.  I didn't note that earlier.
Burial
1843 • Sardis Chapel, Garndiffaith
Sardis Chapel, Garndiffaith- In memory of Rachel wife of Jeremiah Watkins of this Parish died 11th May 1843 aged 48yrs. There is no entry for Jeremiah's death although he may have been interred in the same grave and the fact not recorded.  Jeremiah died 24 January 1855 • Garndiffath, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
Deaths Mar 1855 WATKINS Jeremiah Pontypool 11a 103 He was a widower when he died as Rachel had died 1843.
Reviewing this I think I am really stuck on his baptism which I cannot find, so that I may know who his father was.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 February 20 20:18 GMT (UK) »
the 1851 census gives his age as 62 and place of birth as Llanwenarth. There is no sign of baptism for him in Llanwenarth, but this is the period that there was a duty paid on entries in the parish register. So, it's possible he was baptised but there was no spare cash for the entry to be made. His wife's burial in Sardis Chapel might mean that they both came from non-conformist families and he was not baptised in the established church.

List here of non-conformist registers held at Gwent Archives
http://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/media/83237/list-of-nonconformist-registers-170419.pdf
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 February 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
marriage in Llanwenarth for possible parents
23 Dec 1784 John Watkin & Mary Lewis, witnesses John Morgan & Thomas Kynvin(?). Fees were paid by the parish.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 February 20 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Osprey,
Very many thanks for your help.  That seems a good lead which I'll follow to see where it goes. I note you too have Watkins, mine moved from Monmouthshire and went to Merthyr and then to the Rhondda.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 February 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
My Watkins were in Chepstow and spread out to Bristol and Cardiff. There's a possible earlier birth in Ludlow, but I've not yet found a matching baptism.

::)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find the marriage of John Watkins=Mary Lewis at Llanwenarth 1784 but one in Cwmyoy - same couple in 1794: Wit: John Pritchard and Anne Lewis. Could they have married twice the 2nd time as the parish had to pay the first time?  A puzzle.  It does not seem to be on FindMyPast anyhow. Can you lead me to your source please? ;-))

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 21:00 GMT (UK) »
It is on FindMyPast. Try Watkin. Thomas Kynvin may be the parish clerk.