Author Topic: Elizabeth Whiffin 1799-1877 - Lewisham, Kent  (Read 602 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Whiffin 1799-1877 - Lewisham, Kent
« on: Sunday 16 February 20 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

I have a few conundrums I am unable to solve and after weeks of trying all sorts of ways of solving them I need your fabulous help again.

I am researching the life and times of one Elizabeth Whiffin (Whiffen or Wiffin) 1799-1877 of Lewisham, Kent.

to summarise, I can't pinpoint who her parents + grandparents were, 3 daughters go missing + 2 maybe dead in their teens and 6 grandchildren have no parents.

Elizabeth WHIFFIN was born on May 21, 1799, in Lewisham, Kent, England, the daughter of Elizabeth and Richard. She married William Marshall and they had nine children together.

1. Elizabeth Marshall (d. 18mths) 1823–1825

2. Harriet Marshall (disappears before 1841) 1824–

3. Mary Ann Marshall (d. age 17) 1826–1843

4. Isabella Marshall (d. age 15) 1827–1842

5. Elizabeth Marshall (servant) 1829–

7. Rosina Marshall 1831–

8. Caroline Marshall (servant) 1832–

9. William Henry Marshall 1834–

She then married William WYNNE and they had two children together.

1. John Thomas Wynn (d. age 2) 1840–1843

2. Albert William WYNNE Snr (stonemason) 1843–? direct ancestor

She died in 1877 in her hometown, having lived a long life of 78 years.

1. I don't know her mother's maiden name and would love to (Elizabeth)

2. I know very little about her father except that he was a victualler in New Cross when Elizabeth was Baptised in Deptford; (Richard Whiffin possibly baptised 1752 Westminster - illegitimate)

3. in 1861 Census Elizabeth is  Head Occ: needlewoman with Albert Snr 18 apprentice stonemason, and her Howard/Moward grandchildren; Richard 11, Edward 10, Elizabeth 8, Thomas 7?, William 5, Caroline 3. Her relationship status is not easy to read, I think it says Mar (married)? So whose children are these?

4.  Her youngest son, Albert William Wynne is the direct ancestor s is his eldest son, Alber William Wynne Jnr. They were both stonemasons so I am having issues sorting out their deaths!

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction please?

Kind Regards
Kim

Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Whiffin 1799-1877 - Lewisham, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 20 06:05 GMT (UK) »
The children probably belong to Robert MAYNARD and Harriet MARSHALL who were married in 1846 at Deptford.  You can look up the children's birth registrations here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Debra  :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 20 06:27 GMT (UK) »
The children probably belong to Robert MAYNARD and Harriet MARSHALL who were married in 1846 at Deptford.  You can look up the children's birth registrations here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Richard Maynard rather than Robert? In 1871 he has Richard 22, William 14 and Caroline 12 amongst his children (and a new wife, Elizabeth). “Maynord” on Ancestry. RG10/1345/76/26.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 20 06:36 GMT (UK) »
On the Maynard/Marshall marriage (18 Mar 1846 at St Paul, Deptford) the bridegroom is entered by the minister as Robert Maynard but signs as Richard Maynard.

Bride: Harriet Marshall, full age, spinster, daughter of Wm Marshall, wool broker.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 February 20 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Amazing! so quick! thank you!!!!  :D
This was driving me crazy!

So this leaves 2 daughters and a son unaccounted for which is a lot less than I had.

You rock

Kim ;D
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 February 20 11:02 GMT (UK) »
On the Maynard/Marshall marriage (18 Mar 1846 at St Paul, Deptford) the bridegroom is entered by the minister as Robert Maynard but signs as Richard Maynard.

Bride: Harriet Marshall, full age, spinster, daughter of Wm Marshall, wool broker.

I didn't notice the Richard/Robert thing but that would be why it is indexed twice under both names.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 February 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
There’s a Richard Whiffen buried St Mary Newington Surrey on 7 August 1849 aged 83 years. He was buried from the workhouse.

Richard Whiffen son of Richard and Sarah Whiffen born 9 April 1776 christened 21 April 1776 at St George the a Martyr Southwark Surrey

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 February 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
There’s a Richard Whiffen buried St Mary Newington Surrey on 7 August 1849 aged 83 years. He was buried from the workhouse.

Richard Whiffen son of Richard and Sarah Whiffen born 9 April 1776 christened 21 April 1776 at St George the Martyr Southwark Surrey

Thank you so much! I will try this on for size!

There are a couple of Richard Whiffins running around at the time. I know that Richard was alive at his daughter Elizabeth's 2nd marriage to William Wynn (Bermondsey) in 1838.

I have a possible marriage for Richard (widower) and Elizabeth Druery (Christ Church with St Mary and St Stephen, Spitalfields) in 1798 which fits nicely timewise as his daughter Elizabeth, was born in 1799.

Thanks again

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 21:43 GMT (UK) »

Richard Whiffen son of Richard and Sarah Whiffen born 9 April 1776 christened 21 April 1776 at St George the a Martyr Southwark Surrey

I hope I am not being a nuisance, but pinning Richard down is starting to get me in a tangled mess and I need a sounding board if you don't mind.

If Richard died in the workhouse in 1849 age 83 then he would have been born in 1766, not 1776.
I know he married an Elizabeth but so far I have;

1. Elizabeth Stiff - marriage 12 Jul 1778 St Mary, Newington, England. (only if he was born in the 1750s
2. Elizabeth Joanes - 23 Feb 1785 marr. Camden, London (only if Richard was born in 1766 - age 19)
3. Elizabeth Drury - 17 Dec 1798 marr. Spitalfields, Middlesex (if born in 1766 he was age 32) Richard was a widower at time of marriage to this Elizabeth.
4. Elizabeth Collins - I ruled her out possibly because they lived in the wrong place and didn't have a daughter Elizabeth from memory.

Richard lived in New Cross Lewisham in 1800 working as a victualler. I know this from Elizabeth's baptism records and her marriage in 1838.

the Richards in the information provided were born ans died in St Mary Newington. is this close enough to New Cross Lewisham?