Author Topic: 1930 Birth Certificate in New York City - what would it show?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 Birth Certificate in New York City - what would it show?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 23:55 GMT (UK) »
His birth record would only have told you, mother: Nora Barrett, born in Ireland. Maybe a place of birth would have been a clue, if it wasn't a hospital, but a street address. Maybe the informant's name, if it wasn't his father or mother.

No sign of Nora in 1930?

as for Henry's date of death and the date of the message--at 89, someone else might have been handling the DNA submission and the ancestry account. Is Henry the home person or  a descendant? are there descendants on the tree?

Where does your own Irish ancestry point to, have you found out?

-----
It was very gracious of them to mention his real mother in the obituary, and unusual, I thought.

Thanks for this and your other replies (which I haven't had time to fully digest yet).

I found a possible Nora T. Barrett in 1930 as one of many lodgers at Hotel Pennsylvania, West 33rd Street, Manhattan.  Age 23, b. Ireland, immigration date 1924. Not managed to find more about her yet.

Henry is the home person, the account's in his name and there's no mention of someone else managing his test/account.  There are no descendants shown on his tree, just 3 people - Henry, Rafael Vila and Nora Barrett. I did wonder if someone else had replied to my message on Henry's behalf but wouldn't they have said so and used different wording  and on that day??   

Ancestry shows my Irish ancestry as "shared migrations" in Leinster & Munster (mainly N.Munster & N. Tipperary), same as Henry Vila. My estimated ethnicity 40% Irish, Henry 54%.  From my research, I have Irish ancestors from Tipperary on 2 different lines, including a Mary Barrett great grandmother.

I agree with you that it was gracious and unusual to mention Nora in his obituary. Certainly in the UK, very unusual - I've not seen it in 20 years family history research.

I'll try and look at your other replies tomorrow when I have a bit more time and I can compare to my research notes.

Malcolm

Wood(s) Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 February 20 03:25 GMT (UK) »

I found a possible Nora T. Barrett in 1930 as one of many lodgers at Hotel Pennsylvania, West 33rd Street, Manhattan.  Age 23, b. Ireland, immigration date 1924. Not managed to find more about her yet.
I didn't either. She might be the one from Limerick, and she might be the at 70 W 106th in 1931, but there is no way to tell.
Henry is the home person, the account's in his name and there's no mention of someone else managing his test/account.  There are no descendants shown on his tree, just 3 people - Henry, Rafael Vila and Nora Barrett.
I didn't find that one. I found this one. The owner is one of his daughters.

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/119332028/person/280179843916/facts?_phsrc=TUs85&_phstart=successSource
[/quote]
I did wonder if someone else had replied to my message on Henry's behalf but wouldn't they have said so and used different wording  and on that day??   
Or he knew he was dying, or, having messaged you, he had nothing left he wanted to do. Old age makes you do funny things.

From my research, I have Irish ancestors from Tipperary on 2 different lines, including a Mary Barrett great grandmother.
At this point, I think it would be easier to start with what you know of your family, find them on the censuses and civil records, maybe even the baptism records, and work outward from there until you find Nora. If you want to post what you know here, I'm sure there are people willing to help. If you post in the Tipperary section, include a link back here to save people the time of finding what you know about the US side.

The youngest Nora Barretts I see in Tipperary in 1911 were both 29.
[/quote]

I'll try and look at your other replies tomorrow when I have a bit more time and I can compare to my research notes.
A lot of it was me throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what would stick. A lot of it didn't.

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 February 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
If he was adopted, that puts another wrinkle in the situation.  Typically, the birth record would be changed to include the adopted parents' information, so if Nora was the birth mother, she would not be listed on a standard birth record.

New York recently changed its law to allow adoptees to receive their original birth certificates.  A direct line descendant can also order it, but that's it.  The information is here if you are able to find a direct line descendant.  https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/birth-certificates.page#adoption
Without knowing the circumstances around Henry's birth (I can only speculate) I had wondered if there was some form of adoption, or even a surrogacy arrangement.  I live in the UK (and don't know much about adoption in the US), adoption here was legalised in 1926 but before then there were many "unofficial" adoptions with no real documentation involved.

Thanks .. Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 February 20 16:53 GMT (UK) »
oldohiohome

Re. a couple of your points.

I've seen his daughter's tree and sent her a message last year, I've had no response so far.

I've been researching this part of my family for over 15 years (and got census, BMD certificates, baptisms etc.).  I've been going over it again over the last few months (with lots of creative searching!) looking for any link to a Nora Barrett but nothing found so far.  I might do what you suggest and post a summary of what I know on the Tipperary board.

Re. "throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks".  That's exactly how I work!!

Thanks for all your comments .. Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster