Author Topic: 1930 Birth Certificate in New York City - what would it show?  (Read 2538 times)

Online MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1930 Birth Certificate in New York City - what would it show?
« on: Sunday 16 February 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know what a birth certificate issued in New York City in 1930 would contain?  I've searched around but can't find anything that helps.

Any help much appreciated.
  Malcolm
Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 Birth Certificate in New York City - what would it show?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Here is a  fictitious entry from family search -  New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:HWFL-9FN2

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 20 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Sandra.

Unless I'm missing something, this link doesn't show a birth certificate or explain the contents.  It seems to suggest that the record image can be obtained from a FamilySearch centre but I think it's just the birth index.

Just to clarify, I'm researching a relative who was born In New York City and I know their exact date of birth. I'm trying to find information about his mother and I wondered what his birth certificate might show about her.

Malcolm

Kilshaw - Lancaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any from that era, but I was able to find one online from 1946 for a certain politician born in NYC who shall remain nameless (we're not supposed to get political here on Rootschat) - http://www.theamericanmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/trump-birth-certificate.jpg  I expect you would find similar info on one from 1930. 

I don't know if you're a close relative to the person you're looking for, but unfortunately, NYC recently made it tougher to get records from that era.  https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/birth-certificates.page

Starting January 1, 2019, the following relations can request the birth certificate of someone who is deceased:

Spouse
    Domestic partner
    Parent (if the deceased was 18 or younger)
    Child
    Sibling
    Niece/Nephew
    Aunt/Uncle
    Grandchild
    Grandniece/Grandnephew
    Great grandchild

To request the certificate, you must submit:

A completed, signed and notarized Birth Certificate Application (PDF).
    A completed family tree document (PDF).
    The original death certificate, if the person died outside New York City.
    A copy of the death certificate or the death certificate number, if the person died in New York City.
    A check or money order payment as follows:
        If ordered by mail, $15 for each copy of the certificate.
        If ordered in person, $15 per certificate, plus a one-time fee of $2.75 for identity verification. For example, the cost of one certificate is $17.75, and two certificates would be $32.75.
    A legible copy of your valid, unexpired, photo identification (see last FAQ on this page for more information about valid IDs).

Online MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any from that era, but I was able to find one online from 1946 for a certain politician born in NYC who shall remain nameless (we're not supposed to get political here on Rootschat) - http://www.theamericanmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/trump-birth-certificate.jpg  I expect you would find similar info on one from 1930. 

I don't know if you're a close relative to the person you're looking for, but unfortunately, NYC recently made it tougher to get records from that era.  https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/birth-certificates.page

Thank you, that's very helpful - and a very thoughtful example who shall reman nameless!! 

You've also answered what would have been my next question about how feasible it is to get his birth certificate.  The certificate would have helped me (if it showed his mother's age and birthplace) but I think getting a copy is a non-starter. The person is probably a 2nd cousin (or thereabouts) and is my closest DNA match - and a bit of a mystery.  I'd heard that getting certificates in the US was not always easy and varied by State but didn't realise it was so difficult in NYC. I'm in the UK and it's fairly straightforward to get anyone's birth certificate.

Now looking for a plan B.

Thanks …. Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,

I presume you've attempted to contact them via whatever company you did the DNA match in, and it hasn't worked out - do you know if they're deceased or just no longer contactable through that avenue?

If you know when the person died you could get hold of the SS-5 form, but unfortunately they've started blacking out parents' names from it unless you can prove the parents are also deceased or the person was born at least 100 years ago, so rather a non-starter if you don't know the mother's name to start with.

Do you have them on the 1940 census? Was their date of birth early enough that you might find them on the 1930?

Or, if you have some idea who the connection is through, perhaps you can confirm that that person was in NY in 1930, then trace them in the area looking for records such as obituaries that might mention names of children?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
dobsearch.com lets you search by name and exact date of birth. click "advanced search" to fill in the dates. This might turn them up, even if deceased.
I also think that if you can get to the US Public Records database at ancestry.com, you can enter an exact dob.
Even familysearch, if you put in the name and 'born from 1930 to 1930', might give you results from the US Public Records. Some of these results show exact DOB in the results.

If that is the direction you are headed in.

edit to add:
If the name is unusual enough, or sometimes even if not, Googling them and their last known location might find them. If he isn't in the New York area, try Florida, Virginia, N Carolina, Arizona, or California, likely places to retire or migrate. (Hopefully he didn't go to college in the Midwest and decide to stay there)

Look through the results. whitepages will sometimes give you an age. Mylife.com sometimes even an exact DOB, as do a few voter records sites.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 18:15 GMT (UK) »
another idea. Google the surname and "survived by" his given name.
If his name is John Smith, try: Smith "survived by" John Smith.
The quotes are important, they will make Google look for the exact phrase. Add the likely area to narrow it down.
Chances are pretty good his parents stayed and died in the NYC area, maybe NJ or Connecticut, but not much farther, unless they retired south.

Online MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.  Let me try and briefly explain the background to my post, I think I can safely name the person as he is now deceased.

I took a DNA test with Ancestry in 2018 and Henry Vila was shown as my highest match. I had no idea who he was, there was nothing in his profile and no family tree but we had similar Irish ethicity (around 40%).  I sent him a brief message in October 2018 asking if he would like to compare information etc.  I heard nothing from him until 2 September 2019 when I received a reply that simply said  “My birth mother was Nora Barret. She gave birth to me in NYC in 1930.”   I noticed also that a small tree of 3 persons had appeared in his Ancestry profile which named his parents as Rafael Vila and Nora Barrett (born Ireland, died New York City).

I wasn’t able to follow this up further until a couple of weeks later when I did some searching using the NYC connection and immediately found Henry Vila’s obituary.  This showed that he died on 2 September 2019.  I was shocked when I realised that this was the same date as his message.  I don’t know the circumstances of his death but I found the timing very strange.  His obituary is very detailed, I won’t post it here as it names some of his descendants, but here is an extract.
It is with great sadness that the family of Henry Vila announces his passing at age 89 on Monday, September 2, 2019 in Hilliard, Ohio. He was born on January 28, 1930 in New York City, where he lived and worked for 80 years. He was the son of Rafael Vila (1899-1944), the owner-operator of a barber shop in Upper Manhattan, and Nora Barett. He was raised by his father and his beautiful and beloved step-mother, Enid Eloise (Grey) Vila (1898-1986) who gave him love and kindness and taught him manners and self-respect.

I find the wording on his obituary strange as Nora Barrett barely gets a mention (I’m surprised in some ways that she’s mentioned at all).  It is Nora Barratt that I’m trying to find more about as I’m sure this is where my connection is.  I was hoping that Henry’s birth certificate (if I could get it) might show more about her (hence my original post).  What I’ve found since is:-
-   Henry on 1930 census, age 3 months, in NYC shown as adopted son with a large group of Puerto Rico/Spanish persons  (I don’t recognise any names)
-   Henry is on 1940 census in NYC, age 10 born NYC, with parents Rafael Vila (born Puerto Rico) & Enid Vila (born Jamaica) , grandmother Catherine Frazier born Jamaica
-   I can’t find Rafael in 1930 but I think I’ve found Enid (shown as Edith Villiers with mother Catherine Fraser)
-   I belive Rafael Vila & Enid Grey were married in 1925, 5 years before Henry’s birth to mother Nora Barrett

I’ve searched US immigration records and passenger lists, and found several possible Nora Barretts (and name variations) from Ireland.  I’ve tried to cross-check these to Irish births, US census and other records but found nothing conclusive for Nora.  I’d really like to know, for example, when she came to US, her age, where in Ireland she’s from, was Barrett her maiden name, her parents etc.  It’s probably a long shot but I can hope!!  I live in the UK so don’t have easy access to some US records.

Any thoughts most welcome.
Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster