Author Topic: Agnes Spink m Charles Barker  (Read 1394 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Spink m Charles Barker
« on: Sunday 16 February 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Relative Charles Barker was born near Barnet, Middlesex in the 1890s. 
He married an Agnes Spink from Auchmithie /Arbroath and had 2 children Joyce & Eddie.
We have tried in vain to find out more  about Agnes but am finding it hard to decide which Agnes Spink.  It's a very common name.

Soes anyone in the Spink family know about her ?  Where did they live as a family. ?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Spink m Charles Barker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 20 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where and when they were married? I assume it wasn't in Scotland, otherwise a Scottish marriage certificate would give the names of both of her parents. Even an English marriage certificate would give at least her father's name, and with her age given as well, it might be possible to work out just who she was.

Harry

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 20 21:13 GMT (UK) »
How sure are you on Agnes' maiden name?

There is one possible marriage in Scotland:

Charles John Barker m. Agnes Cargill Orr
Marriage in 1924 - Arbroath and St Vigeans

This is from the index on Scotlands People. The original image is available online. As Harry mentions, it will give you confirmation on mother and father's names to let you work back with confidence. See ww.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

What were the names of the parents of Charles Barker?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 20 21:15 GMT (UK) »
There is also on the index a birth for an Agnes Cargill Orr in Arbroath in 1903 (image of birth cert also available on SP).

This Agnes I believe likely died at the age of 58 in 1961 in Arbroath. The death registered as Agnes Cargill Orr/Barker.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 20 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I looked for any Charles Barker born between 1891-1900 in the area in/around Barnet and the only likely one is the one already mentioned who was born Charles John Barker Sept.qtr.1898 Hertford - mmn Wren.

1901 census shows his actual birthplace was Potters Bar and family living in South Mimms.

Marriage certificate shows Charles John Barker 25 of Potters Bar - Ironmonger (I think, hard to read), son of James Frederick Ashby Barker, Builder (retired) and Maria Kydd Barker, nee Wren married Agnes Cargill Orr 21, dau. of David Marshall Orr, General Labourer, and Annie Orr nee Swankie married 13/3/1924 Arbroath.   Agnes was born, as already stated, in 1903 but her parents didn't actually marry until 1907.

This must surely be the right Charles Barker but the surname Spink doesn't feature in Agnes' names at all - born Agnes Cargill Orr 1903 Arbroath and mmn Swankie.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forleanie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 September 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just come across this post. Agnes Cargill Orr was my grandmothers sister - Annie Forbes nee Orr.  They were born and raised in Arbroath. She married Charles Barker and they lived in Potters Bar, Herts. All her family also moved to Potters Bar and Barnet. I don't actually know why they moved though. I don't know much about her unfortunately, but they are both buried in Arbroath.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 September 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
The mother of Agnes Cargill Orr was Annie Swan Swankie, the daughter of William Swankie and Mary Smith.

William Swankie was the son of Peter Swankie and Ann Swan,
Mary Smith was the daughter of William Smith and Annie Beattie.

Peter Swankie was the son of Thomas Swankie and Catherine Cargill,
Ann Swan was the daughter of Robert Swan and Elizabeth Beattie.

William Smith was the son of William Smith and Margaret Swankie,
Annie Beattie was the daughter of Thomas Beattie and Elizabeth Phillips.

Unusually for an Arbroath family-tree, I can't see a single Spink.

Harry

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 September 21 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. I was doing my husband Philip Barker's Tree. Charles Barker was his Grandfather Frederick James Barker's brother. We have some nice photos of him. He was born in Potters Bar where the Barker family a big Ironmongers/Hardware Store on the High Street.  The shop existed there until 1987 when it was sold to a developer. We heard that Charles married an Agnes of the smokies families so we assumed wrongly Spink.  It must have been Swankie.  I can now carry on this research. Any photos of Agnes & Charlie would be good to see.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 September 21 23:47 BST (UK) »
Apart from the Spink firm of fish merchants founded by R.R. Spink and carried on by his descendants, there is also the firm of Swankie's Fish. A fish van from Fife stops outside our house in Edinburgh on Friday mornings around 10 a.m. but any time he isn't able to come, we buy a pack of Swankie's Fish from Sainsbury's.

Harry