Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople - missing info. on death record  (Read 683 times)

Offline bailey172

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ScotlandsPeople - missing info. on death record
« on: Sunday 16 February 20 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death record for a relative in 1964 and it stood out as different to every other I,'ve found. No parents names are given for him, and his wife is only named by her first name. He died in hospital and they have listed his usual residence. The death is registered in Glasgow North.

I'm sure this might be a case where the simplest explanation is the correct one - he sadly died alone with no next of kin around to share this information? I've easily been able to find his family myself through other sources but this just struck me as quite odd and I wondered if it is common?

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople - missing info. on death record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 February 20 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the hospital staff were the informants. 

I ordered the Death Certificate (not in Scotland) of a gtgt-aunt of mine.  She'd been widowed for about ten years when she died in hospital at the far end of the country.  She is buried with her second husband.  His death was recorded under the name he was known by when he married but it seems they were never known by this name. 

They're on the Electoral Roll with a different surname, which is a name she was using after leaving her first husband but I don't think she'd been married to anyone else in between.  She continued to be known as Mrs H and after they married he was also Mr H.  But she didn't remarry as Mrs H.  They appear to have been living at the same address for several years before they married.

She is buried with her second husband.  The grave only has the surname H at the head and Mum & Dad at the foot.  Their Death Certificates say they were both childless, so the 'Mum & Dad' is puzzling.  Her first names, age and place of birth are correct, but the space for her parents' details is blank and so is the section for her maiden name.

Maybe one day a Ms or Mr H will take a DNA test because their grand or gt-grandparents 'Mr and Mrs H' are their brick wall!  I live in hope.  My thoughts are that after leaving her first husband she had a child and called herself Mrs H.  This was around the time of WW1 so it wouldn't be difficult to pretend to be a widow.

She paid for the grave herself.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople - missing info. on death record
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 February 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Those details depend on the knowledge of the informant. If they don't know, a blank is left or a line drawn. It is quite common for the names of the deceased's parents to be wrong or partially wrong, even if a child or grandchild is the informant.

Try the experiment. Ask children if they can tell you the full names of their grandparents or their mother's maiden surname. You will be surprised at how many don't know.