Author Topic: Catherine Dargavel  (Read 969 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Dargavel
« on: Tuesday 18 February 20 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the death date of Catherine Dargavel who was born on the 3rd Marchk 1858 in Sanquhar, Dumfr..  She married William Copland on 15th June, 1888
(William died 22 Mar.1897).   Just cannot find Cathereine's death anywhere?  Help please??

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Dargavel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the death date of Catherine Dargavel who was born on the 3rd Marchk 1858 in Sanquhar, Dumfr..  She married William Copland on 15th June, 1888
(William died 22 Mar.1897).   Just cannot find Cathereine's death anywhere?  Help please??
It's in the index at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Catherine Dargarvel or Copland died in Govan in 1927 aged 68. Note the extra r that has crept into her maiden surname. I searched for d*r*g*v*l with other surname c*p*l*nd.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfairian,  That is a big help. This time I didn't factor in  different spellings. I appreciate your help.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Dargavel & William Copland
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Going through my notes I now have noticed that a previous post has said that William Copland 33, married to Catherine Dargavel 31 - on their marriage certificate  has him marked as a widower.  I cannot find who he could have been married to before Catherine.  They are 33 and 31 years of age. an so it is likely that he was married before.  How can I find out who he was married to first?  Im afraid the William after William after William is doing my head in. Rather than getting it in order I seem to be getting more confused.  Any help would be great. thank you

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 03:03 GMT (UK) »
1st check would be to check census - I note that in 1891 he had a son William bc.1878 Glasgow and  1881 he is married to Elizabeth with 3 year old William.

William Copland, 22, House Painter, married Elizabeth Parker, widow 29 on 11/2/1876 Glasgow.   His parents William Copland, Hair Dresser (Master) and Fanny Copland nee Kinnell.   Her parents John Wilson, Carver and Gilder (Master) and Isabella Wilson, formerly Simpson nee McAlpline (dec'd).

Looks like son William Copland was born 1877 Hutchesontown, Lanarkshire.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Dargavel & William Copland
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Going through my notes I now have noticed that a previous post has said that William Copland 33, married to Catherine Dargavel 31 - on their marriage certificate  has him marked as a widower.  I cannot find who he could have been married to before Catherine.  They are 33 and 31 years of age. an so it is likely that he was married before.  How can I find out who he was married to first?
If he died in Scotland his death certificate should name all previous wives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I appreciate your comments

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annette7,  So many Williams....so confusing.  Thanks for your comments