Author Topic: Lookup Request please for Christ Church North Shields  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lookup Request please for Christ Church North Shields
« on: Wednesday 19 February 20 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the children of a Thomas Meldram and  I think an Ann Gladstone. I have found three possible children, Mary born abt 1808, George bn 25 Jun 1810 and Elizabeth bn 1811. I am particularly interested in whether there is a baptism record for George. I have found a marraige on Ancestry for a Thomas Meldrem and Ann Gladstone in London in 1792 but don't think this refers to above. All 3 say they were born in North Shields so I think the most likely Church would be Christ Church. Thank you Linda

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request please for Christ Church North Shields
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I can have a quick look at Christchurch while I am at the archives today if nothing is posted before then

Christine

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »

I did look at Christchurch baptisms but the name Meldrum did not appear anywhere.  Depending upon where they lived the baptisms could be at Wallsend or even Earsdon.  They might also have been non-conformist.

I’m at the archives most weeks so if you can think of where else they might be I’d be happy to look again

Christine

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 February 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christine but I am at a loss where to look. Don't think they were non conformist because Thomas remarried a Margaret Shepherd in 1813 in South Shields and the children from this marriage were baptized in St. Hilda's. Cannot find a marriage or death record for Ann. Thomas was lost at sea so no death record there either. For that matter no birth record either, he was known as Thomas Meldram junior and Meldram is not a common name unlike Meldrum. Thank you again but will have to give up for now on these I think.

Regards Linda

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 February 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Don't give up yet - ancestral hide and seek is the fun bit  ;D

Let me see if I can locate them in nearby parishes.

Where did you get the children's names from - I'm assuming census but you didn't say.

Christine

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 February 20 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered whether the records you are missing might also be at St. Hilda’s? Quite a few of my North Shields ancestors hopped over the river to South Shields for baptisms and marriages. It was fairly easy for them in a maritime community.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 February 20 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I wondered that too but if so then that's TWAS and I haven't been there for years.  Never did like the walk up the hill from the station  ;D

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 20 02:19 GMT (UK) »
I found the children's names as George and his wife Martha were witnesses at Elizabeth's wedding in 1832 (Peter Kay) so presuming they were brother and sister. Elizabeth remarried in 1846 (John Findlay) and says her father was Thomas Meldram, master mariner. Mary Meldram married a John Humble Nicholson in 1826 and named one of her children Thomas Meldram Nicholson. I haven't found George or Elizabeth on the census records. George because he was at sea (I have found his wife and family). Elizabeth I just can't find.