Author Topic: Lookup Request please for Christ Church North Shields  (Read 2934 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request please for Christ Church North Shields
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 February 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RTL !
Just a little bit more. I'm sure Linda knows it all, but it's nice to have a bit more of the story.
Margaret Meldram, nee Shepherd, remarried to James Bilson in early 1836, as mentioned. There were also one or two death announcements in the Shields papers in 1858 saying that she was the wife of James.
Of Newcastle Street.
Published a little while after the relict of Thomas Meldram junior announcement, curiously it now states that she died on the 1st inst (July) ???  Her death was registered in the June quarter :)

Anyway, it seems that James Bilson was a Baptist minister.
They were in Whitehaven, Cumberland, in 1841. And what must be her daughter Margaret (Mildram), 19, is with them, and also an elderly Catherine Shepherd.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M73V-XXN

1851 in Yorkshire, just James and Margaret
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SPMF-XDW

Now rewind back to 1837, and a death announcement in the Durham Chronicle of 12 May. They seem to have got James' name wrong!
At Jamaica, in the West Indies, and late of North Shields, on the 7th of March, Mr Thomas Meldram, chief mate of the ship London, and son-in-law to the Rev. James Bilsra, independent minister.

And from 1835 in the merchant seamen's records (BT 112) there is a T Meldram, 21, North Shields.
Names the London, and also says "Died at Jamaica 7th March 1837".

Thomas was baptized 18 January 1815, at South Shields. Parents Thomas + Margaret, father a Mariner.
BT here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6SN3-Y3L?i=574&cc=1309819&cat=1810087

I kind of think that the Thomas who died in Calcutta in 1828 was Thomas junior, the husband of Margaret*. And it's Thomas senior who is the mystery man. Not forgetting his wife of course! One sighting of him in the parish registers may be that burial of young Jane in 1806, father Thomas, a Mariner. Again, no baptism for her.
*Has the parish register entry for their marriage been seen?

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 February 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all for all the info. Some I did have but not the images. I have a copy of a poem printed by W Orange, printer, North Shields which was found in the British Columbia archives. A son of George and Martha emigrated to Canada. It says that Thomas Meldram was the captain of a ship "Friends" which was lost in 1833. Various paper reports say 31st Aug or 1 Sept somewhere between Newcastle and London. I am assuming this is the death of Thomas Meldram jun. Sometimes I think it would be nice if they named their children Ebenezer, may be easier to work out.

There is a marriage in London in 1792 that a lot of trees on Ancestry have accepted for a Thomas Meldrem and Ann Gladston but I am not convinced this is correct. It seems odd to me that they would go to London and be married by Banns. I am hoping that wherever they married they also baptised their children, just haven't been able to find it yet.

Regards Linda

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 February 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
That is very interesting, Linda. George does have that Gladston name on some of the baptism records of his children.
Hadn't come across the loss of the Friends. I did see a story about a sparrow building a nest on the Friends, Capt. Meldrum, when it was in the Tyne in 1828!
What an intriguing mystery. Good luck with your search!
John

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Sadly we can also rule out baptisms at St. Peter, Wallsend.  None of them were there.  :-\

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 February 20 09:30 GMT (UK) »
A bit more for Linda ..

Tynemouth General Cemetery
Entry 3582
Buried July 1 1858
Place of burial: F60
Depth: 8 feet
Aged (69?) Years
Margaret wife of James Bilson Newcastle St parson of Tynemouth died (June?) 29 of Apoplexy

This is from a volume in North Shields local studies & the Sexton's burials on microfilm.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 February 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Other Bilsons at same Cemetery are:

Alfred James 1835
Elizabeth Smith Bilson 1837
Mary 1835
Mary Jane 1837

Also Meldram:

Ann Meldram 1834
William Henry Meldram 1849

Also Meldrum:

Arthur S 1872
James 1860

If you think any of these might be relevant let me know and I will look up their full entries on microfilm.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 February 20 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Just to add I have just checked the biographies file under the name of 'Meldram' at North Shields local studies.  There seems to have been quite a few papers deposited for other researchers.  It is almost hard to know where to start!!  There are handwritten family trees, various notes, a very old photocopied article from the Northumberland Advertiser Sept 10 1838 -  seems to relate a wreck off Boulogne. There is a photocopy of photo of a Victorian looking woman under name of 'Meldrum' sitting in a chair. There is also census info and correspondence from other descendants.

There is a reference recording that Thomas & Ann lived at Stephenson Street, Church Street and Queen Street.

One entry amongst the various notes records that at Preston Cemetery North Shields there is a monumental inscription for George Gladston, wife Martha their son George T, daughter in law Jane and Martha's sister Ann.

In the notes Martha was the daughter of John and Isabella Horsley.  It records that Martha became the post mistresx at Percy Main in 1859 and still there in 1879.  'Copy of her carte de visite held' recorded - might that be her photo mentioned above I wonder.

George Gladston Meldram is mentioned in various references as the son of Thomas Meldram and Ann Gladston.  He seems to have been a 'Captain'.  Records he died at sea on 21 August 1854 whilst serving as Master of the ' Crown' of Kirkwall.  Previously survived the loss of his ship 'Eliza'.

There are so many items to look at.  I do think it might be useful for you to contact the local studies in North Shields library re your research! :). Scroll down for contact info:

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 February 20 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I have now looked up this burial at Tynemouth Cemetery as from information I have found in the file mentioned in above post I think this may be your 'Ann':

'Entry 91
Burial September 22 1834
Place of burial D91
Depth 6 feet
Age 61 years
Ann Meldram Widow of Thomas Meldram of Church Street North Shields Parish of Tynemouth Daughter of Mark & Ann Gladston Died Sept 21 of Cholera'

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 February 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I have now looked up this burial at Tynemouth Cemetery as from information I have found in the file mentioned in above post I think this may be your 'Ann'

Wow, River Tyne Lass, well done!