Author Topic: The Ashcroft and Anglesey ltd Copper Mine.  (Read 1081 times)

Offline DavE Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Ashcroft and Anglesey ltd Copper Mine.
« on: Thursday 20 February 20 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody have any information about the Ashcroft and Anglesey ltd copper mine which operated from 1855 to 1882 close to Porth Y Rhwudau in the Porthdafarch area of Holyhead.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Ashcroft and Anglesey ltd Copper Mine.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 20 08:41 GMT (UK) »
A relic from the mine is shown in the 1860 map that I have in the name 'Copper Mine Creek' at Porth y Rhwydan. I can't find any topographical signs that show exactly where the mine was.
(added)  The Ashcroft Anglesey Copper Mining Company Limited worked the Holyhead Copper Mine at Porth Ruffydd (SH2280 7980) from 1855 until 1882.
In 1858 the mine had been described as ” one of the best in Europe” By 1858 two shafts had been sunk.
One was down to 18 fathoms with a 7-foot-wide lode extending for 3 fathoms in depth with rich stones of copper. The area became known as copper mine creek.
Close by the Porth Y Rhwydau mine also produced copper. ( SH 228799)
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 February 20 09:00 GMT (UK) »
It was the Ashcroft Anglesey Copper Mining Company Limited.

You've probably already seen the mention on this web page: http://parysmountain.co.uk/pug-research/

Newspaper ads in December 1861 (raising capital to purchase a lease) list the directors.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 February 20 09:01 GMT (UK) »
What exactly did you want to know?

There are advertisements in December 1861 for investing in the company in various newspapers. It was situated "two miles on a level road from Hoyhead Railway Station and ten yards from the sea at high water". There is a list of directors, bankers, solicitor, brokers etc.
Capital of 12500l. in shares of 1l. each.

Replying at the same time as ShaunJ  :)

Modified to add:
Actually the earliest ad I can see is in the Freeman's Journal 2 November 1861

Offline DavE Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 February 20 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello all and thank you for replying, I have lived about two miles from the old copper mine all my life and know the area very well, just around the corner from Porth Y Rhwydau ( Cove of the nets ) are two ring bolts in the rocks and i was wondering if they were anything to do with shipping the copper ore from there, or are they anything to do with salvaging something from the ships that have come to grief there ( eg  SS Missouri 1886.) There are hardly any signs of any work ever going on there except  for the small drop down into Copper Mine Creek as there is stone work from the path to the creek floor, and if you look at an aerial photo you can see a round and rectangular shape in the ground above the area and also there is what looks like an entrance which is over grown with a small waterfall . It may be nothing to do with the mine. As for Porth Ryffudd which is about a mile along the coast i have never heard of copper mines  there. There is at least one cave in Porth Y Rhwydau ( Low tide ) which goes in a good way and you can see brownish red bands on the cave walls. The copper ore there was of very high quality although it was only a small mine and i wonder how they got it from there as the road was only fit for horse ad carts in those days.