Author Topic: Whaley / Whalley of Grantham area  (Read 139 times)

Offline cwhaley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whaley / Whalley of Grantham area
« on: Thursday 20 February 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I have spent around 10 years researching my Whaley family tree. I have built up an extensive and proven tree from 1820 until present day which is built from a multitude of resources. Going back beyond 1820 is proving really tricky at the moment because there are several links I'm struggling to prove. If I can however, my tree would go back to the mid-15th Century to a Sir Richard Whalley. The name does change on paper between Whaley, Whalley and Walley which I have put down to illiteracy. I will only use 'Whaley' in this post.

My grandfather 4 gens. back was a John Whaley born illegitimately at Gratham Union Workhouse in 1841. in 1866 he moved to South Derbyshire to work on the railways and his family still reside there today.

John's mother is a Gertrude/Gatty Whaley who I can see was baptised to a James and Mary Whaley in Hougham in 1820. I have found James' baptism in 1792 in Hough-on-the-Hill as well as his marriage to Mary Watchorn in Long Benington in June 1812 --  he tries to write his name on the bann but scrawls his surname as "Walley".  These villages are all very close to each other and so far this seems to add up.

James' baptism of January 2nd 1792 states Thomas and Esther as the parents which presents my first problem -- I cannot find any record of marriage between a Thomas and an Esther. I have found Thomas' baptism in November 1756 as well his 5 children with Esther and finally Esther's death in Feb. 1799 (recorded as the wife of Thomas Whaley), so why can't I find this marriage? Thomas does remarry a Elanor Brown in Jun. 1799 after Esther's death.

Going back a generation I find a Thomas Whaley (believed to be Thomas' father) baptised Dec. 1730 to Edward and Elizabeth again in Hougham. I find a marriage bann between a Thomas Whaley and a Mary Lunn in January 1753 which would fit nicely for the 1756 Thomas' parents who are recorded as Thomas and Mary.

This is unfortunately where my tree now stops. I did find a tree on Ancestry matching the names and dates above which did go back another 3 centuries. It listed Edward Whaley (born 1700) as the father of the 1730 Thomas but I can't find any record so I stopped here.

Long post I know :o but does anybody know the family or is anybody able to offer some advice? I'm going to a church close to these villages next weekend in the hope a local researcher knows something. Sir Richard Whalley is buried there.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Whaley / Whalley of Grantham area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 February 20 12:52 GMT (UK) »
EDWARD Whalley's 30 Jan 1761 Burial has him as age 65, a Labourer and Widower.
ELIZABETH Whalley buried 11 Feb 1755 age 51, Wife of Edward

EDWARD Whaley married Elizabeth DRUERY 10 Sep 1724 Holbeach

Above on FreeREG

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline cwhaley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
EDWARD Whalley's 30 Jan 1761 Burial has him as age 65, a Labourer and Widower.
ELIZABETH Whalley buried 11 Feb 1755 age 51, Wife of Edward

EDWARD Whaley married Elizabeth DRUERY 10 Sep 1724 Holbeach

Above on FreeREG

Trish :)

Thanks for that -- appreciate you looking. I did find those records on FreeREG and FindMyPast (which I pay for) and the burial record for Edward would tie in with a baptism I found in 1696 of an Edward in Hougham.

The marriage doesn't look right though. It's listed as Holbeach which is over 40 miles from the area. Would they wed that far away?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Edward Whalley bapt 19.1.1695 Hough on the Hill
s of Thomas and Mary

Brother Thomas 22.11.1711 and sister Elizabeth 17.8.1714

Thomas Whalley labourer  buried 11.01.1717 H on Hill

Ciderdrinker