Author Topic: Geneanet DNA  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Geneanet DNA
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 12:29 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me how to download match data from Geneanet, for local processing?

Zaph

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Melba,
To be honest I was unaware of it having french roots.  As it happens, my brother lives in France, and has a french wife, though they have no children, so there are no french relatives, other than my brother's in-laws etc. to be found in the database!

Most of my matches, I assume, will be North American, as the vast majority have mixed ethnicity names, with Irish, Scandanavian, Italian, Mexican and Jewish names all mixed up together, which I imaging is typical of the mixed heredity of the descendents of the 19th & 20th century immigrants to USA or America, from Europe! Of course, if they are my matches, it would be no surprise that the majority will be from North America, as I am about 100% Irish, and many many irish emmigrated in that direction, and they seem to have been the most enthusiastic testers too!
Thanks Jane. It would be interesting to know if your brother's wife has done a test and uploaded on there and had any better luck. Although of course testing is in theory illegal in France but there are ways around it, and I believe MyHeritage kits were openly sold in supermarkets for many years, not sure if they still are (apparently that did attract the attention of some French officials who may or may not have rapped Carrefour etc on the knuckles ::)). It sounds like something a bit worse than my GEDMATCH matches where I can identify about 10 or less and the rest of 1000s I have very little idea about! Not helped by the fact people are even less likely to put family trees on there, even though slightly better than 23andme in that regard.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Melba

Gedmatch is about the same for me, of my top 20, there are 11 who I know about pretty much exactly, as I match with them on Ancestry. 2 of those are my Dad and first cousins, whose matches I manage.Of the other 9, 4 are 2 sets of duplicates, one of which I know pretty much how we relate, but  not the exact relationship of their and my 2 furthest relatives on those lines, be they siblings, cousins, Uncle/niece/nephew etc..  The other I know roughly where in my tree they match, but that is back in Ireland, and that is hard to fathom. the other 6 are similar to the last, I know the branch, and the location of most, but the exact link to my family there is unclear. The last one I have no real info regarding the match, though at nearly 50 cM, it is likely not a false positive.  Th last of theses 20 is at 36.1 cM, so of a reasonable size.  However below that I have very little idea, other that recognising from the user name/name, that many are Irish in origin!  Not a surprise to me.

My sister in law has always volunteered her opinion of DNA testing to me - not positive! However, over the years ( married 25 years this year!), I am aware of a slight thaw in her opinion. I may get there sometime in the next 25 years, you never know!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry