Author Topic: Geneanet DNA  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Geneanet DNA
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 February 20 19:23 GMT (UK) »
and have given two matches that are not from my uploads

Out of interest, were these matches you already knew about from other sites?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 February 20 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Just to be clear- I wasn't expecting a huge amount of results but was puzzled by the apparent inaccuracy of the one I did get.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 February 20 23:01 GMT (UK) »

I have tracked the one that matches the Italian kit to MyHeritage. I have still not figured out where the one that matches me is coming from. It is not easily visible under the same name on Ancestry, 23andme, MyHeritage, FTDNA or LivingDNA.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 February 20 08:48 GMT (UK) »

I have tracked the one that matches the Italian kit to MyHeritage. I have still not figured out where the one that matches me is coming from. It is not easily visible under the same name on Ancestry, 23andme, MyHeritage, FTDNA or LivingDNA.

I would like to know some tested and successful methods to do just that....
But I will start another thread for it.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 June 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
Can any of the posters give an update as to whether their number of matches has significantly improved?

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 June 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
I have 254 matches, 6 new ones in the last 2-3 months. However, they are all small matches, the largest being 32 cM! And none seems obviously related to knpwn branches, although I have not spent much time on this. Normally, however I can often make a guestimate, as to where matches might fit in!  It does have a chromosome browser, so you can see where you match , however I have not seen a way to compare more than one match to you on the browser!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 June 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
I have 254 matches, 6 new ones in the last 2-3 months. However, they are all small matches, the largest being 32 cM! And none seems obviously related to knpwn branches, although I have not spent much time on this. Normally, however I can often make a guestimate, as to where matches might fit in!  It does have a chromosome browser, so you can see where you match , however I have not seen a way to compare more than one match to you on the browser!
Thanks for the update Jane. Do you have any known French connections? I assume that the majority of people on there might be French? I suppose if you have your DNA on all the other major providers, it is probably not going to tell you anything you don't already know.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 June 21 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Melba,
To be honest I was unaware of it having french roots.  As it happens, my brother lives in France, and has a french wife, though they have no children, so there are no french relatives, other than my brother's in-laws etc. to be found in the database!

Most of my matches, I assume, will be North American, as the vast majority have mixed ethnicity names, with Irish, Scandanavian, Italian, Mexican and Jewish names all mixed up together, which I imaging is typical of the mixed heredity of the descendents of the 19th & 20th century immigrants to USA or America, from Europe! Of course, if they are my matches, it would be no surprise that the majority will be from North America, as I am about 100% Irish, and many many irish emmigrated in that direction, and they seem to have been the most enthusiastic testers too!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 June 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few more matches on Geneanet since this thread started- most very, very low numbers and those that have trees provide no clues as to where we might connect. I did have 1 person there contact me who now lives in Paris. Fortunately he's done lots of research before DNA using actual records and we were able to narrow down mutual ancestry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!