Author Topic: Insurance records at national archives - lookup?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Tempest55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Insurance records at national archives - lookup?
« on: Friday 21 February 20 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I would like to get copies of two property insurance records from The Sun Fire Office. These are held at The National Archives. The Index references are MS 11936/368/569869 and MS 11936/389/600503.
Does anyone do lookups at the NA?  If not, any suggestions please? Their website is so obscure.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance records at national archives - lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I looked at that in Discovery on the NA site, by putting in the first of the references you quoted.

It says this record is not available at the NA but is held by London Metropolitan Archives
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/fd86483c-60f2-4af2-a608-1fb66f13082c

Boo

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:53 GMT (UK) »
As has been said, the records are not at TNA but at London Metropolitan Archives (LMA).

They are not property insurance records, but entries in a register of policies.

A typical entry is 4-6 lines in length, briefly mentioning the type of property and its use (e.g. house, shop, warehouse, brick, timber) and any contents insured (e.g. wearing apparel, furniture), a rounded valuation for insurance purposes, the premium paid and date, and a note of when the next payment is due.

In case it is of interest, LMA offers its own research service at £80/hour.
ask.lma @ cityoflondon.gov.uk

Offline Tempest55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 February 20 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those two very helpful replies.

The property in question is The Bird in Hand in Long Acre, which was run by my GGGgrandfather until he ended up in a debtors prison in 1794.

I was hoping that there might be a useful list of what was in the pub, but I get the impression  from you that there will not be very much information. And at £80 an hour, I am not going to try and find out!

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 February 20 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I have visited London Metropolitain Archives in the past. It contains a great deal of London-related material. For anyone else who needs information from here, it operates in a very similar manner to the National Archives.  It's located in Farringdon, about 10 minutes walk from the nearest tube station. If it is possibe for you to visit, you can get a membership, call up the documents from their index and view them at the site.  The index catalogue can also be searched online.    As the OP said, they offer a research service for £80 an hour.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 February 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that there might be a useful list of what was in the pub, but I get the impression  from you that there will not be very much information.

No, I'm afraid there won't be a list of what was in the pub.

However, if you put your query on the London and Middlesex Lookups Requests board, with the reference numbers and a link to this thread, there's always a chance that someone who is visiting LMA for other purposes might do it for you.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/london-middlesex-lookup-requests/

Offline Tempest55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 February 20 23:00 GMT (UK) »

I would like to get copies of two property insurance records from The Sun Fire Office. These are held at The National Archives. The Index references are MS 11936/368/569869 and MS 11936/389/600503.
Does anyone do lookups at the NA?  If not, any suggestions please? Their website is so obscure.
I posted this request, but the suggestion was made by one of your members that, since the records are actually in the London Metropolitan Archives, I should put up a request on this board.
I don't think that these records would be available via Ancestry, so I cannot imagine that there would be any problem over their copyright? Anyway . . . .

The property is The Bird in Hand pub, in Longacre, which was run by my GGGgrandfather Tempest Holt until he ended up in a debtors' prison in 1792. I thought the insurance records might list the contents of the pub, or something of interest, but the response to my original post indicates that there's not going to be a lot to be found. I don't want to bother anyone over what might be a lost cause, but perhaps just a quick look to see what there is?

Best wishes, Temp.