Author Topic: William Appleford born Bishops Sutton 1851 missing on 1871 and 1881 census  (Read 727 times)

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Appleford born Bishops Sutton 1851 missing on 1871 and 1881 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was lucky enough to find William's inquest in a newspaper and he had possibly worked on the Railways for 4 years, so roughly since 1882.

He married in 1884,which is the next avenue to explore and order the certificate.

According to William's wife he had served in the army previously, but I can only find a George Appleford, from Bishops Sutton born 1852 in the Army,which might be an avenue to explore too.

Have you tried looking for Railway employment records?

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Appleford b. Bishops Sutton 1851 missing on 1871 and 1881 census Help!
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, according to the inquest, William had worked on the railways for 4 years, so roughly starting in 1882 and possibly after he left the Army.

I tried to expand the search, and may have hit on something, possibly.

On the 1871 census, there is a George Appleford, nearly the same age as my William in Winchester in an Army Barracks, with a birthplace of Winchester, and there seems to be no such person and on findmypast I think under Army records, the same George but with an address in Bishops Sutton, who I simply cannot find, so I wonder if he used a middle name or somehow there was a mistake.

There was a previous rootsweb post about something similar with the same regiment, 4th Battalion, 60th Rifles and it appears they where in India in 1881, hence why William isnt on the 1881 census.

If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.