Author Topic: Stewart’s of Corrigan / Killymoon  (Read 1211 times)

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewart’s of Corrigan / Killymoon
« on: Friday 21 February 20 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone aware of any available records concerning Jane Stewart, eldest dau.of Captain James Stewart of Killymoon.
Jane Md. James Forster of Rathmoran ABT.1720 and he was subsequently referred to as James Stewart alias Forster. I expect they would have wed at the brides p/h church.
I don’t know if they had any children.
There is a deed of lease/release of lands in the manor of Corrigan - Mem’l No.58076 - Reg’d Feb 1735 which describes Jane as ‘Jane Forster alias Stewart,widow.Eldest dau.of Cap’n James Stewart,late of Killymoon’.
Is there any record of the death/burial of her husband ‘James Forster alias Stewart’.
Any input much appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart’s of Corrigan / Killymoon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 December 21 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Captain James Stewart’s will, and the deeds, refer to him as being of Killiman or Killyman.  This is not the same place as Killymoon.

Killyman is a parish, and some or all of it was part of the Manor of Carrigan/Carragan which was acquired by Captain James Stewart’s maternal grandfather Henry Stewart.  The Captain apparently inherited the land from his 1st cousin Henry Stewart who died intestate in c1675 (according to Crossle abstracts).

This might be James Forster alias Stewart, from a Betham Administration Abstract (on FindMyPast)

Forster, James, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, gent
To Alexr Nesbitt P[rincipal] creditor
Jane F[orster] the wid. & relict
Admon granted 22 Day March 1728

And here is a Chancery bill (FindMyPast) between Jane Forster and her sister Margaret Scott.  I think John Stewart alias Forster must be Jane’s son.

21st May 1734
Malone Co, Donaldson Att[orney]
Plaintiffs = John Scot alias Stewart & Margaret his wife
Defendants = Jane Stewart alias Forster & John Stewart alias Forster

Offline kingstondonaldson981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 December 21 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I am writing this forum in regards to my potential connection to Captain James Stewart of Killymoon, I am researching my Scott family. I suspect John Scott & Margaret Stewart/Stuart to be the Grandparents or G Grandparents of my 3rd G Grandmother Catherine Scott born 1798 (she married William Donaldson born 1784). Her father was an Alexander Scott who married an Osborn(e), probably from Bovevagh, Derry. A local hint led to the discovery of a Joseph Scott (born 1793) from Tullyblety, Tyrone who I believe emigrated with my 2nd G Grandfather John Donaldson born 1826. Tullyblety is adjacent to Thorney Hill where my 4th G Baird Grandparents had an estate--basically  they married their grandson off to the neighbours? After checking numerous Scott Memorial Deeds, I am attempting to learn more about the Scotts of Dungannon--Tullyblety and their movement to the Bready /1st Donagheady Church area where Catherine & William lived. Any guidance is appreciated. It is a big undertaking, requiring care as it is easy to conflate the Scott families.

Offline kingstondonaldson981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 December 21 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to include an important detail. There are multiple Deeds of Memorial which link John Scott & Marg. Stewart on the same Deed to an Alexander Scott--role never specified. One dates to 1751. I would imagine, if I am correct with my  line of thinking about Margaret Stewart & John Scott, that the Alexander Scott listed could be a son, but not the eldest. That was William. I have seen evidence for an Alexander Scott that died in 1833--he was quite old, and one who was a Church elder at the 1st Donagheady Church as of 1835. A lot of work to get done, any assistance appreciated.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 January 22 10:55 GMT (UK) »

Tullyblety is adjacent to Thorney Hill where my 4th G Baird Grandparents had an estate....

Just linking for others, the townland of Tullyblety and the subtownland of Thorney Hill (in Bohard townland) which are indeed adjacent. They are east of the town of Aughnacloy.

https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/lower-dungannon/aghaloo/ballymagran/tullyblety/
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/lower-dungannon/aghaloo/ballymagran/bohard/thorny-hill/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo