Author Topic: Rueben Jones . Mathon Worcs  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rueben Jones . Mathon Worcs
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 February 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Jesse -- we have found both of his marriages -- so that information regarding dates isn't needed now.

If one of your children can order the marriage certificate for you from the General Register Office at Southport they can do this either by writing to;

General Register Office
PO Box 2
Southport
PR8 2JD

and providing the following information;
Name: Reuben Jones
Spouse Name; Mary Ann Powell
Year of Marriage; 1852
District; Hereford
Q/E Mar
Volume 6a
Page 651

Together with a cheque for £11

Alternatively if they use a computer they can order on line from;
https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

Go to Order Certificates On Line on the first page.
They will need to register with the site - then complete the application form using the same details given above. They can pay bycredit or debit card. It is a completely safe site.

If in the meantime someone on this Rootschat site can find Reuben's baptism - that will also give his father's name. I can't find one unfortunately. The marriage certificate should give both the bride and the groom's fathers names and occupations - or instead of an occupation -- may say 'deceased'.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 February 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pennines, I will do that tomorrow and I will let you have the results as soon as I can, thank you for your help.  jesse123

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 February 20 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jesse -- just to say - that once ordered, a certificate will take about a week to arrive.

At least it will give you Reuben's father (providing of course that he wasn't illegitimate!)
There may also be a chance of a witness being named Jones who may be a brother or cousin.

However with a surname like Jones it is possible that his family came in to England from Wales - so that will have to be borne in mind if his parents marriage can't be found in the local area. His father's name will at least be a further step.

Good luck with it Jesse.
Places of interest;

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 February 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Pennines, I have been doing a bit more digging and I found out that Both Rueben and Mary Powell were both married twice, she married Rueben in 1852, had their children n and Rueben died , she was widowed and married a John Reynolds in 1868 and had one child. She was 38 when she remarried, and 22 years old when first married that means that was 16 years after her first marriage, so Rueben died between 1852 and 1868, according to my calculation, does this help in anyway,? My Daughter is sending for certificate today.   jesse123

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 February 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Jesse -- I think we have already found Reuben's death -- see correspondence.

A 39 years old Reuben Jones died in 1864 - Ledbury Registration District. This is the correct registration district covering where he lived --- and the age is about right if he was born c 1824. So that bit is solved!!

It's his parentage which is a mystery at the moment.
Places of interest;

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 February 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pennines, will contact you as soon as cert, arrives.

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pennines, will contact you as soon as cert, arrives.
Hi Pennines , have just received marriage certificate of Rueben Jones, how do I get it to you for perusal,    jesse 123

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Jesse - basically you were obtaining that to obtain the names of the fathers of the bride and groom - to help find the correct baptisms for your ancestors.

(In addition if any of the witnesses had the same surname as the bride and groom that may help with a family relationship,

Hence if you simply post the details of the fathers and their occupations (if shown) - and names of witnesses. That may help Rootschatters locate baptisms for Reuben and his bride -- then marriages for those fathers -- thereby going backwards another generation.

You could try the free website Family Search to see if you can find something for them. You would need to register - but it is completely free.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

Another free parish register site is;

https://www.freereg.org.uk/    (although it seems to be temporarily experiencing problems).

(I am assuming you don't subscribe to Ancestry or Find My Past)

Places of interest;

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 March 20 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Pennines  Details from a Rueben Jones Marriage lines are, Rueben fathers signature is very hard to decipher as apparently he and his son could not right and someone else signed on there behalf, it maybe Ruebens father may have the same name the way the name started in my opinion, the brides father was named David Powell and he was a Farmer, I believe Powell’s farm is still going, today or at least until a few years ago.  Jesse 123