Author Topic: Rueben Jones . Mathon Worcs  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rueben Jones . Mathon Worcs
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 March 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Jesse --- I am afraid I cannot find a baptism on line for a Reuben Jones born about 1824 with a father Reuben.

There is a baptism for a 'Ruben' Jones with a father Richard and mother Frances in 1825 in Fawnhope with Fowley, Herefordshire. Might the name of the father on the certificate be Richard?

I am just wondering if your Reuben may have been born elsewhere, but the family moved when he was very young - and he therefore only THOUGHT he was born in Mathon. However this is pure speculation as there is no baptism in Mathon.

Also - if his father was Richard, you would have expected Reuben to name a son Richard - and he didn't (although he did name a daughter 'Fanny' which was short for Frances.

I am really sorry, Jesse -- we don't seem to be able to find anything definite for your Reuben's baptism - his origins, despite the marriage certificate - are a mystery.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 March 20 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Pennines it could be that you have hit the nail on the head , it could reasonably be Ric, as I said it takes a bit trying to put a name to it , before I posted earlier I sent a copy to my niece who lives i Wales and she and her husband who is welsh said they thought it was Ric, Jones so I could be wrong, at 87 my eyes are not what they used to be, wasn’t having the brides fathers name of any help.?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 March 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Jesse -- the bride's father will help you trace the bride backwards.

Re the groom -- with a name like Jones, I am sure that someone in the family originally must have come from Wales. Trouble is we won't know who!

If you want the bride tracing -- I suggest you start a new topic with her name as the title.
In your opening message input what you now know -- ie Mary Ann Powell born in x circa (year) father on marriage certificate given as (his name).

That will prevent the 2 queries being intermingled.

Back to the possible Richard Jones --
A Richard Jones married a Frances Wood on 11 July 1821 in 'Fownhope with Fawleye' Herefordshire.

Whether it's your ancestor I don't know -- but this couple did go on to have a son Reuben in the same place in 1825.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 March 20 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Pennines thank you for your input, I will Try and follow up your line of thought, the dates do correspond with what I know, I will dig a bit further an d see what I can come up with, and I woul be glad to come back to you if I come up with that is relevant .  Jesse 123

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 March 20 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Details from a Rueben Jones Marriage lines are,

Rueben fathers signature is very hard to decipher as apparently he and his son could not right and someone else signed on there behalf, it maybe Ruebens father may have the same name the way the name started in my opinion,

the brides father was named David Powell and he was a Farmer, I believe Powell’s farm is still going, today or at least until a few years ago.  Jesse 123

Hello Jesse123 - just wondering from the above marriage certificate you have
who were named as witnesses to the marriage
and
What occupation does it give for Reuben and also his father
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 March 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
To Ladyhawk, from what I can decipher the witnesses on a Ruebens marriage cert, was his own father and someone name Hill, problem with first name, looks like his fathers name might be Ric, not sure, thank you for enquiring.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 March 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Jesse123 Thank you for your reply

What are their occupations of father & son?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jesse123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 March 20 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Lady Hawk they were Labourers. Thank you. Jesse 123.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 March 20 14:58 GMT (UK) »
they were Labourers

Thank you - reading over your post again you weren't sure whether Reuben's father was named Reuben or perhaps Richard on his marriage certificate and Pennines had a look but couldn't find a baptism for father & son both named Reuben - neither could I  ???

Jesse --- I am afraid I cannot find a baptism on line for a Reuben Jones born about 1824 with a father Reuben.

There is a baptism for a 'Ruben' Jones with a father Richard and mother Frances in 1825 in Fawnhope with Fowley, Herefordshire.
Might the name of the father on the certificate be Richard?

Also - if his father was Richard, you would have expected Reuben to name a son Richard - and he didn't (although he did name a daughter 'Fanny' which was short for Frances.

I am really sorry, Jesse -- we don't seem to be able to find anything definite for your Reuben's baptism - his origins, despite the marriage certificate - are a mystery.

A couple of possible 1841 censuses  for you to keep in mind for the above baptism in Fawnhope for
Ruben Jones parents Richard & Frances

1841 census Jones Hill, Fownhope, Hereford & Dore, Herefordshire
Rubin JONES 16 bn Hereford occ Ag Lab
Mary Jones 14
They appear to be in the household of James 40, Penelope 40 & John Goodyer 7
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M77Z-N2X

1841 census  Piece:   421 Folio:   6 Page Number:   10
Common Hill, Fownhope
Richard JONES   53 occ Ag Lab.
Frances Jones   49
Charlot Jones   19
Pheby Jones   14