Author Topic: What does Occupation = 'Pauper' in 1871 Cambs census really signify?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does Occupation = 'Pauper' in 1871 Cambs census really signify?
« on: Monday 24 February 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters

In the 1871 Census entry for Hook's Mill Farm, Tadlow, Cambs I find an elderly couple, John and Sarah Newell, described as 'Paupers'. Also living with them in the same household is a married grandson and his wife and a 22-year-old grand daughter. See details below. John and Sarah are found at the same address in the 1851 and 61 censuses i.e. they are long-term residents.

I understand 'Pauper' is an official term and because they are living at home, not in the workhouse, it means John and Sarah were in receipt of 'Out-relief' from the parish which may have been money or food.

My question today is why they would be entitled to such out-relief given that there were others in the household who were presumably looking after them? Was it that 'out-relief' was something all elderly folk were entitled to in this area at this time i.e. an early form of old age pension, or does it indicate the household were actually near-destitute... or that John and/or Sarah were disabled or ill?

Thanks for any info or pointers to discussions of this I may not have found...

John Newell   Head   Married   73   Pauper                 Wrestlingworth, Beds
   Sarah Newell   Wife           Wife      75   Pauper                 St Neots, Hunts
   William Newell   Grandson   Married   27   Labourer                  Tadlow
   Mary Newell   Daughter-in-law Mard 24   Labourer’s wife          Morden, Cambs
   Fanny Newell   Granddaughter   Unm   22   Labourer’s daughter   Wrestlingworth, Beds

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does Occupation = 'Pauper' in 1871 Cambs census really signify?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest reading the section on "New Poor Law", implemented in 1834, from the excellent website Workhouses.org.uk.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/poorlaws/newpoorlaw.shtml
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does Occupation = 'Pauper' in 1871 Cambs census really signify?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
A pauper is a recipient of parish relief under the provisions of the Poor Law or of public charity, or a person having no property or means of livelihood; a person dependent on the charity of others.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk