Author Topic: Munro/Monro  (Read 975 times)

Offline CC

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Munro/Monro
« on: Wednesday 26 February 20 15:08 GMT (UK) »
HI....Having a problem of proving or disproving if Colin Munro(parents Alexander Munro and Margaret Taylor) and his 1st wife Isabella Webster are parents to John Munro b 1826ish Boyndie,Banffshire. Isabella died May 1824 Boyndie… I have John in census 1851-1891 he died 1891 Inverurie,Aberdeenshire on his death reg his mother is down just as Webster. John married Janet/Jessie Davidson in 1852 Inverurie...I know Colin and his 2nd wife Janet Mustard came to Canada in abt 1832, this family is in a book called Forest and Clearings the History of Stanstead Que. 1847 in this book it mentions John m Jessie Davidson.. I have checked Scotlands people, find my past including newspapers.. John had a twin brother George.. I have found info on most of this family but not John.... I've done a dna but just cant pin this down... Any help would be most appreciated..
Carol

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Munro/Monro
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Finding this quite confusing.
In timeline order (green from your post, blue from SP, purple from FreeCEN, red from FindMyPast)
1819 Joseph Monro, son of Collin Monro and Isabel Webster, born in Boyndie
1824 Isabella Webster, wife of Colin Munro, dies in Boyndie
1826 John, son of Colin Munro and Isabella Webster, born in Boyndie

1827 Colin Monro marries Janet Mustard in Banff (the original one, not the one in Canada!)
1832 Colin Munro and Janet Mustard emigrate to Canada
1852 John Munro marries Jessie Davidson in Inverurie

1861 John Munro, 37, born ?Benny, in census in Inverurie with wife Janet and children
1871 John Munro, 47, born Boyndie, in census in Inverurie with wife Jessie and children
1881 John Munro, 56, born Boyndie, in census in Inverurie with wife Janet and children

1891 John Munro, husband of Jessie Davidson, dies in Scotland

Leaving aside the fact that you seem to be suggesting that John was born 2 years after Isabella died, did Colin really leave John behind when he emigrated? And his twin brother George? What about big brother Joseph?

An age of 37 in 1861 and 47 in 1871, if accurate, would mean that he was born in 1823 or 1824, which would fit better with his mother dying when he was born or soon afterwards.

John and Janet/Jessie's children were Jane(t), Isabella, John, Margaret, Catherine Webster, William Allan, James Grant, Alexander Sutherland, George, Charles and Robert. No Colin, as you would expect if his father was Colin. Unless of course John was so resentful of being left behind when his father emigrated that he refused to name one of his sons Colin.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I seem confusing....I have seen some info with John being born sometimes older sometimes younger as some ages given are not always true to birth... John is living with William Allen and Catherine m/n Webster in 1851 Inverurie as a app journeyman. As twins run in my family and most of these last names are middle names in my family.... This Colin has peaked my interest... If not I can rule this all out and try to find Johns parents...
Carol

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I seem confusing....I have seen some info with John being born sometimes older sometimes younger as some ages given are not always true to birth...
No, but if John told the enumerator in 1861 that he was 37 and in 1871 that he was 47, that is information from the person who ought to know better than anyone else, i.e. John himself, rather than someone else who may not know exactly.

John is living with William Allen and Catherine m/n Webster in 1851 Inverurie as a app journeyman.
App journeyman is a contradiction in terms! A journeyman is, by definition, a person who is no longer an app(rentice). Are you using a rubbish transcription such as Ancestry? The FreeCEN transcription says he is a journeyman wright, and his relationship to William Allan is journeyman. You need to view the original of the census at Scotland's People to see what it actually says.

As twins run in my family and most of these last names are middle names in my family.... This Colin has peaked my interest... If not I can rule this all out and try to find Johns parents...
Actually, it looks quite credible apart from John not naming a son after his father, but there is a plausible reason for that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't think they all got along reading some papers it seems there was some hard feelings ... Colins daughter Isabella is down as marrying James Grant in 1853 Fordyce... My greatgrandfather was Alexander Sutherland Munro(twin) m Sarah Killin  my grandfather Alexander Sutherland Munro m Jemima McOscar my dad was also Alexander Sutherland Munro.. Sutherland is from Jessie Davidson side.... I do have the 1851 census from SP.. he is a journeyman miss read  James Grant right about him is a app wright...
George and Joseph both left for the U.S and Canada all about the same time as Colin....
CC