Author Topic: What became of Jeanie Dixon?  (Read 738 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of Jeanie Dixon?
« on: Thursday 27 February 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »

Good Afternoon,

I had up until recently been making some progress on a loose end on my family tree, but have hit another brickwall.

The breakthrough was finding the marriage of Albert Ernest Dixon (an Australian) to Jeanie Whiteford (a Scot) in Blythswood Glasgow in 1918.  Albert was on active service with the 5th Division of the Australian Army according to the marriage certificate at the time.

I subsequently found Albert on findagrave, who died in 1958, but by this time his wife was not Jeanie.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156581802/albert-ernest-dixon

I then today found a divorce case file (Melbourne) for Albert and Jeanie dated 1923, which confirmed that they must have gone over to Australia between 1918 and 1923.

However, this is the last record I can find on any genealogical site for Jeanie (who is my interest), I have gone through possible remarriage / death in Scotland as well and not turned anything up, so was hoping that someone might be able to find the next piece in the jigsaw of what happened to Jeanie after her divorce in 1923.

Jeanie was born in 1892, but on her marriage cert put 1896, so could be anyway between these ranges on any other records for search purposes.

Thanks

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Jeanie Dixon?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 February 20 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Just for background-who were Jean*s parents please?

Maureen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
According to the divorce the address for Jeanie was 48 Prince Albert Street, Queens Park, Glasgow.

Could the divorce have been because she never went to Australia?

Do you know when Albert Ernest Dixon went back after the war might not have been demobbed till months later

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I read through the divorce file and whilst it appears that she did go to Australia in 1923 she did not stay and did not appear when summoned to court. The divorce was granted in her absence. She sailed back to the UK with her daughter Olive , aged 2 and half , and Isa Dixon , aged 7 , on the ship Balrinald which arrived 20 Aug 1923 in Southampton. Her intended address was 78 Prince Albert Street Queens Park Glasgow.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Jeannie went out to Australia on 12April 1923 along with 2 daughters Isabella (Isa) aged 7 and Olive aged 2. They arrived back Uk Aug 1923.  Address given 78 Prince Albert Street, Queenspark, Glasgow. Record on outwardly and onwards UK passenger records.
KK
Sorry duplicated info

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
According to the divorce the address for Jeanie was 48 Prince Albert Square, Queens Park, Glasgow.

Could the divorce have been because she never went to Australia?

Do you know when Albert Ernest Dixon went back after the war might not have been demobbed till months later

That's very interesting information - Thank you - I was going to contact someone on RAOGK to kindly view the divorce file in Victoria Archives as it was not a digital one and I am in the UK and had assumed that Jeanie was in Australia.

I couldn't find exactly when Albert had returned to Australia, I had just got as far as it being in the window of 1918-1923.

UPDATE - I posted this before the two recent posts just digesting - children?! this is all new info!

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Jeannie went out to Australia on 12April 1923 along with 2 daughters Isabella (Isa) aged 7 and Olive aged 2. They arrived back Uk Aug 1923.  Address given 78 Prince Albert Street, Queenspark, Glasgow. Record on outwardly and onwards UK passenger records.
KK
Sorry duplicated info

Just heading to Scotlandspeople had not found the children - thought I was going to have to wait until the 1921 census - happy days!  ;D

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 February 20 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you go to the Australian National Archives there are some records which may be useful. www.naa.gov.au
Alberts WW1 service record is there and already digitised and free to view 36 pages. Has transcript of their marriage plus other info. Letter from Jeannie with his departure date from England. Definitely worth looking at. There also appears to be a couple of other files regarding passage for wife and family.  Also a repatriation file but it isn't digitised.
Just go to name search and type his full name.
Regards KK

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 February 20 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again . If you go to your local library it will no doubt have Ancestry library addition and you can look up Albert and his divorce record is available to read. His second one is there too. He appears to have married again in about 1941.
KK