Author Topic: William Strudwick  (Read 976 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Strudwick
« on: Friday 28 February 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me locate a christening for my ancestor William Strudwick who was probably born sometime between about 1630 and the 1650s.

William married Joane Elliott in Billingshurst in 1670 and they had two children, William [born in 1670/71] and Elizabeth [born 1672/3].

Joane was born in Pulborough and christened on 22 January 1639/40. Unfortunately I am having difficulty identifying William's christening.

There is a William Strudwick born/christened in Wisborough Green on 5 October 1654 the son of William and Joane

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J73K-3XZ

This William would have been 15 or 16 when he married Joane Elliott so it seems unlikely that this is my William. Also it seems that he died the following year as there is a burial in April 1655

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Q4-Q1XH

The only other possible William I have found is the following

William Strudwick son of William and Jane Strudwick
Christened 6 February 1638 in Wisborough Green, Sussex

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2Q4-QB1J

Given that Joane Elliott was born in 1639/40 this christening would make more sense as Joane and Elliott would be about the same age. Unfortunately I have now discovered that it looks like this William died and was buried on the same date.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J8H8-353

So that rules him out.

The only other William Strudwicks I have located were christened in 1618/19, 1621, and 1628. The first of these married Joan Hayler in September 1643 and was the father of William Strudicke born 1654. So he can't be the William who married Joan Elliott lol!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can I trace/identify my William Strudwick's christening?

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info.

Many Thanks.

Matt

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Strudwick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking at the wills now in the Probate Registry at Chichester, all are in Register 3
William Strudwick 1641
William Strudwick 1647
William Strudwick 1676

All are of Wisborough Green Sussex.

I was reading the will of a William Strudwick 1734 his son Thomas was executor but there were
two other administrators because it turns out Thomas was only 17.

Perhaps there is information in the wills that can help you. You won't get a baptism date but by following property handed down you can sort out all the William Strudwick's

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 20 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
There is a William Strudwicke baptized 28 Feb 1640/1 at Kirdford.
Father Henry.
BT here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRJ9-8B9?i=668&cat=68648

Kirdford is next to Wisborough Green. But I really don't know if he survived (possibly?)
There seems to be a burial of a William in Kirdford in Dec 1641, but it doesn't say that he is an infant, or son of, unlike some of those above him.
PR (poor image)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6259-MFN?i=95

Quite a lot of Strudwicks in Kirdford! The images of the PR are very faint and there is the usual gap in the BT's at that time (next one is 1662)
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 February 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
There's a PCC will of a Henry Strudwicke or Strudwick, Gentleman of Kirdford, Sussex
Proved 4 June 1662
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D839878

And of course is on ancestry. Don't know if it's the same Henry, no time to look at it now!
John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 February 20 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks for all those ideas and suggestions. I have a list of Strudwick[e] wills and have got copies of most of the ones I can find, plus transcripts from various sources. The only problem I have found so far is that there are so many Williams lol! Also I haven't seen been able to link them to my Strudwicks for certain yet. I have a family tree of the Strudwicks in Wisborough Green and also those in Kirdford and I thought I'd worked them out until I realised the ones I was looking at in WG had died lol!

I'm sure there is a link between those in WG and Kirdford so the William born in Kirdford in 1640/1 might be worth looking at in more depth.

Time to go back and check on the wills I think.

Btw Elizabeth Strudwick [born 1672/73] daughter of William Strudwicke and Joan Elliott married Edward Parkhurst in Billingshurst in 1703. If I can find mention of either the Elliotts or Parkhursts in those wills it might help me out more.

Thanks again.

Matt