Author Topic: Thomas JONES - Johnstown/Carnegie/Allegheny - Pennsylvania  (Read 789 times)

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas JONES - Johnstown/Carnegie/Allegheny - Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 February 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I think this is the Thomas Jones you said who had the same birth date:
Thomas Jones born 18 July 1835, baptized in Ebenezer Congregational Church, Bangor, Wales, parents William, a mason, and Elizabeth, of Twigwign.
This Thomas had a sister Jane born 12 May 1833.
Have you found this family afterward? Did Thomas survive childhood? And if he was in Wales in 1861, then he is obviously not the Thomas in Johnstown. Unfortunately for us, his father, being a mason, was probably in a better position to move around than a farmer.

-----------
I didn't find Hannah Jones, b 1845 Wales, anywhere else except with Thomas in 1860 in Johnstown.

----------
I searched the online text of the Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambria County, and the History of Cambria County, hoping to find someone from Carnarvon or Bangor. There were many Jones and many people from Wales, but I didn't find a reference to Carnarvon or Bangor. I was looking for someone whom Thomas might have known from Wales. People often migrated to where they knew someone from back home.

----------
Thomas' obituary did not say much. Attached.

-----------
That is about all I can think of. There was a similar thread on the US board recently, and in the end I suggested the person start with his family and try to work toward the US family. Can you connect your family to the Thomas born in Twigwign in 1835, for example.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 February 20 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's what I have so far and I haven't got any further with any of it. I haven't found the family in Wales or in Pennsylvania as yet. I haven't found Hannah yet either.

I don't have any family in Caernarvonshire- all of my JONES lot were in Carmarthenshire. All it would take is one person to move, however. It's a shorter distance than Wales to the USA!

Thank you again for looking! JONES was never going to be easy by itself...

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
As a little update I found out that the marriage date comes from the pension record. The date of birth also appears in the family bible held by one of my DNA matches- it turns out they were responsible for the updated gravestone as well. No closer to proving anything but at least a few questions answered!