Author Topic: George Belcher (b.1877 Reading) & Ada Belcher (b. 24-7-1879 - per 1939 register  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Belcher (b.1877 Reading) & Ada Belcher (b. 24-7-1879 - per 1939 register
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 March 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was born in West Hanney : Rhoda FIELD.  In 1886 Rhoda married at the Parish Church in West Hanney, (says she was 19 in fact she was 17) and one witness was Lizzie BELCHER  (possibly Caleb's daughter)

Rhoda FIELD's mother, was Mary FIELD, late DUNSDON, late JOHNSON, formerly WAYNE

----

I did purchase from the Hanney History Group a few years ago, a booklet called

'Late Victorian Hanney' - An Agricultural Community which I've found....

On page 44 it says

In Close proximity to each smithy was a wheelwright's business.  In West Hanney at Castleacre opposite the forger was the business of James Belcher.   James and his wife Caroline were both 72 years old in 1881 and James was still working: he had been the village wheelwright for over forty years.  In all there were four Belcher families living in 1881 and together with the Cox, the Labels, the Huggs and the (Dunsdons  ... a surname in my line) - these five old village familes accounted for almost a third of the village population.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Belcher (b.1877 Reading) & Ada Belcher (b. 24-7-1879 - per 1939 register
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 March 20 14:24 GMT (UK) »
In this book has extracts from the Church Magazine 13 February 1877

On Saturday April 21st,

Mary TALMAGE, her son Edward, John BARRETT, A BOOKER and Caleb BELCHER were thrown out of cart at Charney.  Mrs TALAMGE was very much bruised about the body; John BARRETT had his collar bone broken, and Caleb BELCHER his arm put out; the two other escaped without injury.

School Attendance
In Village like the Hanneys, parents were slow to see any advantage to education - the day to day needs were more immediate.  If the children were needed for harvesting, or the preparing of fields for new crops then they would be found in the fields and not in the classroom.  The school log reads

8 July 1870
'Small attendance today - pea gathering'

3 September 1870
'attendance low-walnut gathering and potato digging'

4 October 1870
'many away on the Poor's lease potato digging and picking up'

etc
etc

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 March 20 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Capetown,

Thank you for those snippets of info. Most appreciated.

I can't unfortunately claim to be a descendant of James Belcher, with any degree of certainty,  as my gg grandfather was John "Smart" Belcher the natural son of Mary Belcher. He was born about 1827 & bapt. in West Hanney 15-7-1827.
As far as I can tell Mary Belcher was the dau of James Belcher, a wheelwright, and Elizabeth Angel (James' 2nd wife) and bapt. 1794 West Hanney.But I stand to be corrected if anyone has some other suggestions.

The report (page 44) of that booklet refers to James Belcher the son  of James (as above) also a wheelwright (presumably he continued with his father's business) and Caroline (nee Froude). Sadly this James was tragically killed on the GWR in Feb 1887 crossing the railway tracks and his wife Caroline went on to live with her married dau Mary Higgs in Eversley, Hants, following the event.

I believe that Caleb Belcher is either the direct  son of William Belcher & Mary Ann (nee Giles) or Alfred Belcher & Leah (nee East) the latter Caleb marrying Jane Brakespeare. This is where Lizzie Belcher comes in to the picture (d/o Caleb)

The Caleb involved in the cart incident was a sawyer and no doubt would have  been caused some discomfort in his line of work.

I do thank you for thinking of me and perhaps one day I might be able to get to fatham out exactly where Mary Belcher came from.

As an aside, my g.grandfather Frederick Belcher was technically Frederic Elderfield (birth registered as such) as his mother Jemima Elderfield didn't marry till after Frederick was born in 1851 and was not bapt. in till 1856 (6 years later) with his sister Emily. Another story that took years to work out,

Just some other stories to work who is who and where do they link to.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 March 20 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at Berkshire Parish Register on Line

West Hanney Marriages  (and quote)

'James BELCHER, widr., & Elizabeth ANGEL (pinned on and not copied into the book, in pencil; his 2nd wife, illegitimate dau of Ann, afterwards wife of Eustace, brother to John of Lydford and Wm of Hanney, and to Amy BUNCE's father)'

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Capetown,

I had seen that report before but am curious as to where you have seen the "West Hanney Parish Register" on-line.
Could you please let me know where?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
UK Genealogy Archives

Berkshire Parish Register - Marriages volume 2

There is also a Volume 1

---

If you just Google:

James Belcher Wid & Elizabeth Angel (pinned on)

Full Text of Berkshire parish Registers... Marriages

----

the marriage above James - is 'interesting'

Joseph BELCHER (in pencil, "he ran away") shoemaker & Mary SHORTER (in pencil
"she married again Mar 8 1809 to John DUNSDON" d of Wm & Mary, of Daye's farm, sheep farmer)

31 May 1792