Author Topic: Mereweather/Merryweather's from Sedgehill  (Read 2434 times)

Offline DorsetHelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mereweather/Merryweather's from Sedgehill
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 April 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I haven’t got to Grace Broadway and the Mereweathers yet - my in-depth tracing of William and Frances Broadways family has taken months as they had so many descendants! They had 14 children - William, Mary, Elizabeth, Frances, James, Henry, Anna, Christian, Grace, Patience, Stephen, Cornelius,  Lydia and Charlotte. Most had children. I am descended from Anna. Many of the children made good marriages or were influential in their own right so there’s a lot to be found. I will get back to you when I have had a look at Grace. I am just finishing Christian’s descendants. Helen

Offline bob14trinity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 April 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
I was just looking at another Merryweather Frank born in 1871.
He joined the Dorset Regiment and seems to have been invalided out and became a Chelsea Pensioner.
I haven't been able to see the detail of this as it seems to require yet another subscription!
He died in 1904. I would like to have found out a little more about him, so grateful if any one has any ideas.
Regards

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 April 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Frank Merryweather
born 1871 Barnes
father Samuel, 8 Thorn Street, Barnes
service no 2949
Dorset Regiment
1889-1897 & 1899-1902
served in Egypt, India & South Africa

Offline markheal

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 April 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for Frank MERRYWEATHER's service records.

1891 in Plymouth Military Barracks

I will see if I can find more on his siblings and parents
ANSTRUTHER,Worldwide
BENNETT,
BRETT, Sligo
CARNEGIE,
CROCKFORD, Hampshire.
ELLIOT,
GAUNTLETT, Worldwide
HEAL, HEALE, HELE, Chew Magna, Somerset
HENRY, Sligo
MABEY, Dorset
O'HANLON
POPE, London docklands,
STANDERWICK, Somerset,
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bob14trinity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 April 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information about Frank. I wonder if it is possible to view his service record as it seems likely that he may have been injured as he appears to have become a Chelsea Pensioner at quite a young age and died at age 33.
Regards
Bob

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 April 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
Frank's Army Records are on FindMyPast and although Chelsea Pensioners is part of the title of the series of records (from the transcription) the actual records end in 1902.
It does contain a form with these questions
Wounded?-No
Effects of wounds?-None
Injuries?=Nil
If you would like to send me your email address via PM, I would be happy to send you the records, understand if you prefer not to share that information with a stranger. Let me know.

Offline Lisa M-R

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 July 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
Lot’s brother Mark is my 3rd great grandfather. Mark was a Wiltshire police officer, possibly a detective with Scotland Yard. Some Merryweather descendants claim he was murdered, but he died in 1879. If you do a Google search you’ll find a photo of Mark in uniform with WC 18 on his collar. This photo of Mark actually shows on the wall in the background of a photo of Frank, Lot’s nephew, with his wife and 9 children at their home in Utah.

Following Mark’s death, Frank, my 2nd great grandfather, left England in 1881 at age 17. Since he was the only one in his family to move to America, my family knows very little about those who remained in England. Fortunately, Frank and his brother Albert exchanged letters. A 1933 letter from Albert shows the return address as 65 New Road, Chippenham, Wiltshire. After Mark died, his widow, Sarah Ann Thick (Merryweather), moved to Chippenham so it seems most of the family ended up there.

In looking for more information about Mark’s death, I searched Lot Merryweather and stumbled upon your thread. It seems we’ve both hit some dead ends, but please let me know if I can share any info that might help your research. I’ve been able to trace the Merryweather family line (Mark and Lot’s father, grandfather, etc) back to the 1700’s; however, records get a little confusing at that point. If what I’ve found is accurate, there’s a father named Joshua who has a son with the same name. Public records show two marriages of Joshua Merryweather to a woman, Sarah Hardin?, but a generation apart - I can’t imagine that both married women with the same name,
but slightly different spelling, a generation apart. It just adds to the confusion of the Merryweather surname being spelled differently, making it difficult to know which families are directly related. As I’m sure you know, some spellings replace the y with an i, r or rr, weather or wether, Mere, etc. Muryweder is also one I recently found and it goes back pretty far.

PS One of the ‘John Merryweather’ individuals was a criminal so I’m hoping that’s a different family!

Anyway, nice to meet a long lost relative.