Author Topic: Thomas Heaney - Newbie, help please  (Read 2363 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Heaney - Newbie, help please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 March 20 09:39 GMT (UK) »

I'm going to have a look though everything posted here since yesterday before making any comments on the places in Ireland but would like to point out that I did ask for more information earlier in the thread which seems to have been overlooked by OP.

As aghadwey has pointed out, there are questions being asked, by other posters too, that are not being answered. Perhaps spurdog needs to go back and have a look over everything posted too, then give clarification on the points raised.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 March 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I am in the middle of a busy time, some of the questions cannot be answered and some need a search (original source). I am not trying to be obstructive. Names and religions were often changed by error, or trying to hide that they are from Ireland, so it is not an easy task, is it

Busy or otherwise, you have made statements such as Thomas being born of unmarried parents, so either you know this to be true from some record or suchlike, or have made an assumption.

He was born 1846 Glasgow. He was born of unmarried parents.

You have also referred to a record dated 1846, St Andrew's, Glasgow, yet there doesn't appear to be one indexed on scotlandspeople for a Thomas Heaney born that year, hence myself and others have asked where you have seen this record and what information it contains.

Saying:

My original says St Andrews Cathedral, therefore catholic.

implies you have/have had sight of an original document.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline spurdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 March 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »

You say he was baptised in Glasgow - where have you seen the record?

Record is under scotlands people, misinterpreted on SP, as Hannay if my memory serves..

This was the time of the potato famine...maybe that
[/quote]

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 March 20 09:51 GMT (UK) »
'You have also referred to a record dated 1846, St Andrew's, Glasgow, yet there doesn't appear to be one indexed on scotlandspeople for a Thomas Heaney born that year, hence myself and others have asked where you have seen this record and what information it contains.'

There are about 20 pages of baptisms, 50 entries per page, 1 or 2 Thomas's on each page, of baptisms for St Andrews, on F M P for 1846.  Yes.

Some baptisms do not have surnames, and some are several years after birth.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 March 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Proposed baptism parents:

Offline spurdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 March 20 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat. Thats the entry of baptism i referred.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 March 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks chempat, so the record you have posted is indexed (given that is what the written name appears to be) as:

HANNAH
THOMAS
THOMAS HANNAH/MARY ANNE STEWART
M
17/10/1846
16/11/1846
Glasgow, St Andrew's

hence why a search of H*n*y (given spurdog hadn't mentioned the Hannah spelling, this at time seemed quickest way to find variations of Heaney), wasn't picking it up earlier. Perhaps, spurdog, when we were asking about the 1846 record, you could have mentined the spelling sooner, and that it was not Heaney, Heany or suchlike. It would have saved some wasted effort. People on this forum are always happy to help, but it is a good idea to give as much known info as possible, early on in a thread.

chempat, does the entry state status of that child, eg legitimate or otherwise? have now been able to view entry on FindMyPast and box is blank for Legitimacy.

Offline spurdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 March 20 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Confirmed Glasgow comes from the 1881 census. The only one in close proximity of the 1972 police record (showing 5 years in Ireland, from 1867-72). This by backtracking on age puts his DOB at 1846, assuming joined @21 y/o.

Also we are assuming they are both RC, but he may have been protestant, but fibbed to St Andrews...horror shock. Do i sense some aggression (not from me)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 March 20 11:59 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few possibles for Mary (Ann) Stewart on 1841 census, and then possible marriages for Mary Ann Stewart in the Glasgow region.

Have you followed up the marriages to see if there is a Thomas with the new prospective families in 1851 or 1861 Scotland or with Mary (Ann) Stewart in 1851 or 1861?