Author Topic: born in Hitchin  (Read 1947 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: born in Hitchin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 March 20 13:05 GMT (UK) »
These 2 are living in Hitchen in 1851 - wonder if related?

Edward Dawborn   91 Head  Tailor (pauper)  born Hitchin
Thomas Dawborn   65  son  ag. lab.  born Royston.

Added:
Edward Dawborne was baptised on 31st July 1763, son of William (glover) and Elizabeth, in Hitchin.

Edward  Dawborn married in Royston on 28 Nov 1785 to Ann Wilkinson. Edward signed, Ann made mark. wit John Wiggins, John Warren

Could be them in 1841 living in Hitchin

Piece 445 Book  3 Folio  11 Page 19

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 March 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see a marriage for William Dawborn and Elizabeth, around 1750, anywhere.

If Thomas was a son to Elizabeth before her marriage to William, then he could have been baptised (or not) under a different surname.

I did look for baptisms for an illegitimate Thomas in Hitchin, but no luck so far.

Offline ThomasFox

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 March 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Can I ask the interest in Thomas Dawborn. He joined the 10 Hussars and server through the Peninsula War and Waterloo. From memory having gone through Waterloo he like many others left the army when they reduced the numbers. I have his Waterloo Medal and have been looking for his MGS medal for the last 20 years. I'm not sure if he is the same man who served in the 40th/49th.

Offline robweldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 July 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
I apologise for my late reply here but have only just realised that I have some replies to my question, and I thank you for those.
Thomas Dawborn born c1752 is very possibly a son of William Dawborn and Elizabeth Bland who married 7th Jan 1753 at Hitchin, but he is not the same Thomas Dawborn who joined the 10th Hussars. This second Thomas was born about 1865 and was married with four children before his enlistment in 1806. He was possibly a soldier before he joined the Hussars.
Well done to ThomasFox who has the Waterloo medal. Is this the medal with the inscription to Chas Dawborn? My line continues through Mary born 1798 and I would really like to compare notes with ThomasFox.
Regards