Author Topic: Found new living relative  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found new living relative
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your responses...

No, I haven't seen any photos of my grandmother yet though my aunt has said she will try to find some.  I've seen photos of my elder aunt who my cousin says Mum resembles.

Tracing my biological grandfather... how does this work with my aunt involved as she is definitely her father's daughter unlike my mother.  I don't think I'm going to go down this path as if the information we have in my family is correct, then my biological grandfather's surname is the most common name in the UK ;-)  whereas, fortunately, all the family on my grandmother's side is quite uncommon and easier to trace relatives.

Thanks everyone and best wishes!

Upstone; Waterton; Roberts; Burgess; Glasspool

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Unless you do manage to find any clues from your newly discovered family, then it may only be using DNA matches which will resolve your search.

Have you taken a DNA test?  Even if you do, there is no guarantee, of course, that members of your biological grandfather's family will have done the same.

But at least this means is open to researchers now.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:49 BST (UK) »
Your mother and your aunt have the same mother but different fathers.

If you and your aunt take a DNA test, you should have common matches which come from her mother/your grandmother's side of the family.

She will have matches which come from her father's side of the family. You won't match with any of these people.

You will have different matches that come from your unknown grandfather's side of the family. Your aunt won't match with any of these people.

The surname of your biological grandfather being common probably doesn't matter. You may still have matches to his side of the family.

Quite a lot of people have success finding biological family after adoption/illegitimacy etc through DNA testing. Just something to keep in mind which might help you.  :)

Added: Igor is correct - results/good matches are by no means guaranteed (but you will definitely get some matches). You may have to wait for useful matches to trickle in as more and more people are testing. If you can afford to take the tests, you have nothing to lose.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 June 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on being brave enough to "Take that plunge". We so often - especially researching Family History, come to regret the things NOT done or asked  far more than the things done / asked. I do hope that your researches continue to move the tale forward - and thank you also for taking the trouble to update us all on your story - we do all tend to get a bit involved, as a topic develops. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 June 20 01:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your responses...

No, I haven't seen any photos of my grandmother yet though my aunt has said she will try to find some.  I've seen photos of my elder aunt who my cousin says Mum resembles.

Tracing my biological grandfather... how does this work with my aunt involved as she is definitely her father's daughter unlike my mother.  I don't think I'm going to go down this path as if the information we have in my family is correct, then my biological grandfather's surname is the most common name in the UK ;-)  whereas, fortunately, all the family on my grandmother's side is quite uncommon and easier to trace relatives.

Thanks everyone and best wishes!

Definitely take a DNA test (with Ancestry since they have the biggest database). It all depends on how many people on the mystery side have tested, but even at bare minimum you'll definitely get leads to go on via your matches. If you'd like any help with this in the future do PM me as I managed to trace an unknown biological grandparent through exactly these means!

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 July 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Well folks, there has been a few Whatsapp messages back and forth with my aunt and a total of four photographs from her, one of my grandmother, two of my great grandmother and one of my great great grandparents.  Meantime, I've provided her many of my mother, and several photographs of her great uncles (which I was able to find by trawling google), which was very interesting for her.  The only additional information I've learned from her is that my great great grandparents were both vets.  I did send a list of questions that I asked, that if she had time, would she be able answer, concerning my mother and GGparents as that would really help me with my research going back further which she said she would do but so far I've not received anything from her.

What's been disappointing for me has been the lack of interest in my mother, their sister - hardly any questions about my mother's life, who she was, what she did, etc. etc. but at the end of the day - she would have been their step-sister so perhaps this is why,  And for my aunt, I may be her niece yet I'm still a stranger .. might have been a completely different story if my mother were still alive.   It seems their initial interest in this family 'novelty' (aka me) has worn off and it's now just like.. meh. 

The main point is that I obtained closure for my mother and I shall simply get back to researching her family history purely as a hobby now.   I won't press to meet the family - that was never my intention, nor my suggestion - that came from my aunt, and to be honest, I don't quite see the purpose.  I have contacted her again today about the questions and to ask if she has a colour photograph of my grandmother but I'm not expecting a response.  I think the communication will just drift off now which is fine, I understand - she's busy with her own life and family. 

We all have different experiences and this is mine.  Perhaps this is not so unusual though?

guest189040

« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 July 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
Sort of sad update but not unexpected, people can be fickle.

I would echo the suggestions of undertaking a DNA test.

It opens up a whole new world of expansion of your Family Tree and can confirm branches which you may have thought to be tenuous at best.

It also helps to give a more thorough understanding of the evolution and migration of your family.

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 August 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles,

Thanks for your response.

I've since sent another request to my aunt asking her to kindly complete my questionnaire but nothing.  It's a shame because I've come across a brick wall with my research and if she would spend just 2 mins to give me the first names of my GGgrandparents then that query would be resolved.  It's frustrating and very disappointing as I was hoping she could shed light on several queries I have, not only about my mother's situation but also further family history.

In the meantime, you mention getting a DNA test - I'm sure this has been asked many times but what's the recommended one - I think it has to be between Ancestry or My Heritage.

Thanks!

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles,

Thanks for your response.

I've since sent another request to my aunt asking her to kindly complete my questionnaire but nothing.  It's a shame because I've come across a brick wall with my research and if she would spend just 2 mins to give me the first names of my GGgrandparents then that query would be resolved.  It's frustrating and very disappointing as I was hoping she could shed light on several queries I have, not only about my mother's situation but also further family history.

In the meantime, you mention getting a DNA test - I'm sure this has been asked many times but what's the recommended one - I think it has to be between Ancestry or My Heritage.

Thanks!

If there is anything that the RC community can do in breaking down your 'brick wall' or suggesting ways round it, without your aunt's confirmation of first names of your greatx2 grandparents, there are many people here who'd be happy to help.

I've often been amazed by ability of people here to 'think out of the box' and also find sources I'd never have thought of, let alone find.  :D :D :D

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex