Author Topic: Found new living relative  (Read 4446 times)

guest189040

Re: Found new living relative
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
I have been on Ancestry for quite a few years and we did their DNA test, which btw is always worth looking out for when they have cut price offers if you plan on taking a test.

Initially we did not have much response but over time we got more and more matches.

I have not done anything for two weeks and in that time I now have 12 new matches which have a distant Common Ancestor.

I do have one close match but she has no tree.

Hence even if you get a close match you need them to respond to the contact message.

Having an online accessible Family Tree can help in that Ancestry will give you DNA hints of a pathway if others have trees.

Hence it can be hit and miss and a waiting game but it is the only chance you have of filling in the blanks.

Once you have the results uploading them to matching sites will improve the chances of a match being given, but do remember that a match can be along any branch.

Good luck with whatever action you decide.

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Igor,

Thank you for your kind response.

Despite researching my family history for many years, I'm basically a newbie on the various genealogy sites and have not used them before to assist with my research, more's the pity as undoubtedly there's a lot of very valuable people on here with a wealth of information and resources available.

Where would I begin in asking people for help - guidance would be appreciated :-)  Fortunately the surname brings few results which in theory should make it an easy wall to break down.  I'm 90% sure I have my GGmother's first name if only it could be confirmed by my aunt!   There are early records for a woman from Yorkshire and a later record for another in Reading - I don't know which person would be my great great grandmother, or whether she is the same and the family simply moved south in later years.

QQ - what might be the reason for no census record from 1801 to say 1911?  I thought that if I could find a a census for the family with a daughter that matches the information to that of my great grandmother then that would be the brick wall smashed.. but it's not been as easy as that.  This is where I'm stuck.

If only my aunt were more willing to communicate it might be much more fruitful but I fear that's a closed door now which is a great shame.  Nothing of my doing, I hasten to add.
Upstone; Waterton; Roberts; Burgess; Glasspool

Offline Crazy Horses 81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 08 August 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
I have been on Ancestry for quite a few years and we did their DNA test, which btw is always worth looking out for when they have cut price offers if you plan on taking a test.

Initially we did not have much response but over time we got more and more matches.

I have not done anything for two weeks and in that time I now have 12 new matches which have a distant Common Ancestor.

I do have one close match but she has no tree.

Hence even if you get a close match you need them to respond to the contact message.

Having an online accessible Family Tree can help in that Ancestry will give you DNA hints of a pathway if others have trees.

Hence it can be hit and miss and a waiting game but it is the only chance you have of filling in the blanks.

Once you have the results uploading them to matching sites will improve the chances of a match being given, but do remember that a match can be along any branch.

Good luck with whatever action you decide.

Hi again Biggles... thanks for your response.

I've got my main research on Genes Reunited as I think at the time I seemed to prefer their format (and was probably cheaper!! ;-)  Would I be able to download Ancestry's results into that website? 
Upstone; Waterton; Roberts; Burgess; Glasspool

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 August 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Its good to know that youve made progress

Just wanted to add if you do decide to do dna even tho your grandfather has a common sur name if he was American you may find second cousins in USA who dont have any other obvious  connection to UK and you may be their only british match so that narrows things down .

Also I agree that rootschatters will be able to help you identify ancestors of your vetinary ancestors ....you could post  their names on occupations boards without having to identify your connection if you are worried about upsetting anyone
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
"Hello Igor,

Thank you for your kind response.

Despite researching my family history for many years, I'm basically a newbie on the various genealogy sites and have not used them before to assist with my research, more's the pity as undoubtedly there's a lot of very valuable people on here with a wealth of information and resources available.

Where would I begin in asking people for help - guidance would be appreciated :-) "

You are most welcome  ;D

I would suggest you approach this in the simplest way, by summarising what you do know and the sources you've found (if any), and if there is an appropriate location for these, simply posting a request for further research on the appropriate board. 

If no general location, post on the Common Room board.

The only rules are that the people mentioned should not be now living.

I lurk around these boards frequently, but am not always quick (or expert) enough to make huge contributions, but I was thrilled recently to assist in a search which found some relatives for someone who had been looking for years without success.  It was some guesswork, followed by more theorising, and then further great record finds which tracked down and confirmed a marriage via a familiar address......

Can I add, it's also often very useful to summarise what you do know.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex